Replacing quick release wheel skewers and seat post

robmcdougal90
robmcdougal90 Posts: 12
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
I will be cycling around London and like my wheels and seat, so wondered whether i can just remove the quick release and attach bolts/nuts so they won't get nicked, i have a specialized hardrock sport 2008, with skewers and seat that came as standard

Comments

• hi - good news - yes you can - any local bike shop will give you adv on stock they have that you could replace your QRrs with, there is also quick release skewers available you can remove the levers from making it more difficult to pinch - also check out the bikes and gear section above for good lock advice ! but tbh i would not consider leaving any bike of value unattended out in public - better to buy a 'hack bike' you would not be so fussed about loosing..........
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I have these hex skewers that mean a tea-leaf would have to have allen keys to nick your wheels.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Halo-Hex-Key-Skewers_29491.htm
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • ^^^^^yep - them's the ones i was thinking of^^^^ :lol:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • cheers just ordered some, for the seat post can i just attach a bolt?
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    You should really cable lock through anything that has hole as well, but more likely the whole bike will get nicked :o
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Are you cycling to work? If so why not just take the saddle with you into the office?
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Halo ones are very good, I'm using them instead of normal quick releases now. But still, it's not much security, stops kids and total opportunists is all, but it can't hurt.
    Uncompromising extremist