Fulcrum 3 or 5's?

hubcap
hubcap Posts: 163
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
I am quite a heavy rider at about 100kg, the wheels that came with my bike (Alex Rims) are a bit too flexy for my liking and today a spoke snapped in the rear so am looking for a higher quality wheelset to replace them.

Have been looking at the Fulcrum Racing 3 and 5, I am favouring the 3's but am just a little bit concerned that they will be able to handle my weight, are there any heavier riders out there with experience of the 3's or would you recommend I go for the 5's with the extra 3 spokes at the rear?

Am obviously looking for something pretty strong but I would like something reasonably light weight too, hence leaning towards the 3's, or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    Hubcap wrote:
    I am quite a heavy rider at about 100kg, the wheels that came with my bike (Alex Rims) are a bit too flexy for my liking and today a spoke snapped in the rear so am looking for a higher quality wheelset to replace them.

I'm 91 kg and was looking for stiff and durable wheels as well. My choice was Fulcrum Racing 1. They're plenty stiff for a big rider. According to general consensus of the reviews I've read, they are also durable.

The Racing 3's seem to be constructed similarly, with the exception that the spokes are made of steel instead of aluminium. So... they should be at least as durable as the Racing 1s.
  • same here, I was over 100kg and went for the fulcrum 1s, I have them hard on a couple of occasions and they are still mint. I am sure fulcrum 3s will be just as good, if not more durable because of the steel spokes

Andrew
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I'm about 90 Kg and have some Fulcrum 5's on my trainer, great reliable wheels, bet they flex a lot when out of the saddle.
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    Sounds like the Fulcrum 3 is the way to go, I'm a little suprised at the Fulcrum 5's flexing as they have a higher spoke count, so maybe the 3's are that little bit higher quality.
    Many thanks for the replies everyone.
  • Go with the 3's , they should be fine as long as you dont hammer them all the time. the 5's are a super traning/general purpose wheel but maybe not siutable for a heavier rider.
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    I have the 3's and I am sadly 100Kg.

No issues to date having riden some pretty crappy roads.
  • I have FR1 And FR3.. fulcrum 3 version 2008-2009 are stiffer than racing one, cause of steel spokes... the racing 3 2010 have aluminiums spokes....

so you can take F3 2009 or fulcrum 1.. 2009, 2010..
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I have FR1 And FR3.. fulcrum 3 version 2008-2009 are stiffer than racing one, cause of steel spokes... the racing 3 2010 have aluminiums spokes....

so you can take F3 2009 or fulcrum 1.. 2009, 2010..

Are you sure? The Fulcrum website states that the Racing 3 is built with steel spokes.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Slight change of tack, but I'm buying a pair of wheels for my daughter. She only weighs 62kg or so, what would the general opinion be on the following:

Planet X Model B @ £99.00
    Pro-Lite Treviso @ £130.00
    Fulcrum Racing 5 @ £150.00

Fulcrum are slightly heavier ~ 1750gms, other two are ~1650 or so. General purpose, training, Sunday rides, possible occasional 4th Cat race and TT.