Don't like dogs? Then you shouldn't be in the woods!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited March 2010 in MTB general
I usually go out Sat afternoon for a ride in Wharncliffe, but today I took my young son for a walk around the woods instead.

We hadn't been in there five minutes when we encountered a couple with two dogs approaching in the opposite direction. The dogs, neither of them on leads, then proceeded to make a bee-line for my 5yr old son, and began jumping up at him. Not only was he frightened, but he was also caked in muddy paw prints.

I requested that the couple stop their untethered animals, which the man did try to do. As we walked away the, still untethered, dogs came after us and continued to jump up at my son. At that point I said it was beyond a joke, and that they needed to control their dogs, and that some people do not want/like other peoples' animals jumping all over them. The woman then told me that if I didn't like it then I shouldn't be in the woods (honest)!

The man was actually trying to stop them, while she waxed lyrical, but to no avail. I told her that they should be on leads, if they can't control them, to which she responded by calling me a 'mardy a*se'! I asked her not to use such language in front of my son, and told her that she needed to have some respect, and she eventually ceased her pearls of wisdom.

As far as I can see, I did nothing wrong, and I still can't believe the attitude of some dog-owners. Credit to the man because he did repeatedly apologise, while trying to control the things. As for her, she was of no use whatsoever, and I hope he gave her a piece of his mind later. I actually felt sorry for him.

Imagine the next time I'm on my bike and perhaps they run in front of my wheels, and I can't stop and hit one of them. Should she complain, then I'll tell her that if she doesn't like such behaviour, then she shouldn't be in the woods. I wonder how that would go down!

I was going to finish by stating that some people shouldn't be allowed dogs, but some people just shouldn't be allowed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I know what you mean. I don't dislike dogs as such but lately they seem to be everywhere, usually running around a long way from their disinterested owners. Pretty inconsiderate IMO, and before someone pops up saying that not all dog owners are like that the vast majority of them are as far as I can see.
  • this stuff happens mate, just get on with it. Sounds like you want sympathy - im sure your son will have to deal with worst things in his time.

The rougher it gets, the harder you become

not having a go, but i have to deal with lots of people in my job who have grown up to be what we call mambies, caused by things like you had today

be more forceful next time the same happens, and push the dogs away from yer son. I even once booted a dog that tried climbing on my sons pushchair. Show the dog and it's owners your more than they are

Danny
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i was stopped by a dog walker the other day for riding a trail that runs parralel to a footpath, about 2m away in my local park, she explained that i could veer of and hit her dog, and that i should be on the main cycle path (about 2 miles away) when i saw her later that day, i did happen to be on the cycle path, and as i rode past she shouted that i was an irresponsible person, and told me to slow down becouse of the 5mph sighn by a ped crossing 1 mile back.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • It sounds like a case of irresponsible pet ownership unfortunately, IMO if you can't control your dog you shouldn't have one. The fact remains that in every animal there is still the natural instincts they have in the wild, and they can and do revert to that instinct and there is nothing you can do about it.

However, not stopping your dogs from jumping up at people and then having the bare faced cheek to have a go at you about it is a joke. I bet she wouldn't of been so up herself if her husband hadn't been there!
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    thats it, it's not the dogs at fault it's the owners that can't be fucking arsed keeping there dogs under control.

people think it's a right to own an animal, so lets get this clear it's not a right it's a fucking responsibility and a privilege.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Shout loudly at the dog, wave you arms and attempt to kick it. Then do the same to the owners!

or

Grab the child and shout that the dog has bitten him and you're going to the police. Yeah, that'll spoil their walks for the next week :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Should have kicked the dog!

Then asked her to restrain her pet :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I tend to spray water from my bottle on the offending canine or spit him/her in the eye. Unfortunately they just get more pi$$ed off and bite. :oops:
    Give the beast a good kick and then expect a vicious owner to have a go.
    Alternatively follow them home and give them a cleaning bill.
    Seriously though, life can get worse you know.. :?
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    Why kick the dog? you`ll end up getting bitten its the owner that needs a kicking!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    dwill wrote:
    Why kick the dog? ...!

....because it's there?
  • Luke-Dob
    Luke-Dob Posts: 121
    bails87 wrote:

Depends a lot on the size of the dog (or owner) in question
    "If I Was Falling, YOU BETTER FREAKING CATCH ME!!!"
    6 years riding bikes, 8 broken bones, gravity can be a b**ch
    http://dobby.pinkbike.com/album/My-Bikes-D/
  • kick the owner as it's not the dogs fault.

i've done a full on stoppie before avoiding some clowns wee dog that wasn't on a leash and ran out in front me blind on the canal towpath.

didn't really fancy a dip in the canal. so gave full vent to him. next time i saw the dog it was on a leash
    keep fit, eat well, die anyway!!
  • Shire
    Shire Posts: 59
    Turn to the guy, and say "You want to get a muzzle for this one" whilst pointing at the woman.

May not have a desired calming effect, but who cares.....

When I did it, all the woman could say to her husband/boyfriend was "Are you gonna hit him or what" From the smirk I got from the guy when I said it I knew it wasn't gonna happen.

The folks with me certainly though it humerous too...... Sadly I think she'd had a sence of humour byepass :D
  • this stuff happens mate, just get on with it. Sounds like you want sympathy - im sure your son will have to deal with worst things in his time.

The rougher it gets, the harder you become

not having a go, but i have to deal with lots of people in my job who have grown up to be what we call mambies, caused by things like you had today

be more forceful next time the same happens, and push the dogs away from yer son. I even once booted a dog that tried climbing on my sons pushchair. Show the dog and it's owners your more than they are

Danny

I don't want sympathy, mate...I was just highlighting the fact that some dog-owners are inconsiderate, and think that everyone should share their view that they and little Rex can do as they please. I don't let my kids go and annoy other people, because I understand that some people do not want other peoples' kids bothering them. It would be extremely inconsiderate of me to just let my kids run up to other people and annoy them.

Believe me, my son has experienced much worse and dealt with broken bones in the past without so much as a complaint. Far more maturely than a lot of adults would. So the mambie accusation is a bit of a stupid point when you don't even know anything about me or my son. I know from personal experience about toughening up as you go through life...like most people. It's part of making your way through this world, and a fact of life.

From your reply I could say that perhaps you appear insecure and you over-compensate with chest-beating, macho posts, but I wouldn't because I don't know you. It would be stupid of me, even if it appears that way! I'm not having a go either, mate. :wink:

In the past I have handled situations more forcefully, as you put it, and have sailed close to the wind on a few too many occasions. Nowadays, I try to act in a proper manner and lead by example, especially in front of my children. If you had read my post, you would have noticed that I mentioned that the guy tried to sort it, but I was mainly drawing attention to the woman being oblivious to the fact that they were in the wrong, and the fact that she thought if we want to walk in the woods, then we should have to put up with it, which we shouldn't.

I understand mosts peoples' reaction to kick the dogs, believe me, but the problem does lie with the owners. If a dog cannot be controlled, then they should have the responsibility to keep it on a lead in a public place. And, clean up after the bloody things too.

I'm not trying to say that this is the end of the world, just an observation, but I suppose I should've thought twice before posting.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bails87
    Luke-Dob wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Depends a lot on the size of the dog (or owner) in question

just so we're clear, I was saying kick the woman.......
    MTB/CX

• just so we're clear, I was saying kick the woman

You're a bad influence, mate! :lol::wink:
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bails87
    Just a tap on the shins :lol:

In reality, obviously, best not to kick anyone, but if you're going to, then kick the 'intelligent' one, she should know better!
    MTB/CX

• 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    bails87 wrote:
    Just a tap on the shins :lol:

In reality, obviously, best not to kick anyone, but if you're going to, then kick the 'intelligent' one, she should know better!

so you are indeed advocating kicking the dog then? cause no intelligent owner would have the dog out in the woods without a lead on.
    Fancy a brew?
  • bails87
    77ric
    Hence the inverted commas. :wink:

I'd kick a dog if it was genuinely attacking me, but in this situation it sounds like stupid-owner syndrome more than anything else, not just to let the dog jump up at a child, but to then make out that the OP was being unreasonable.
    MTB/CX

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Was out with a couple of friends doing some riding in the local woods when this happened:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vj1r2hPvzw

It was only a pup, cant blame it really, it's jut doing what dogs do (made me laff when it tried to take a bite of the m8's tyre tho).

What we found very odd though was that while she was shouting and screaming at the dog (and saying how it never does this honest) she thought it was a good idea to try to kick it?

So she couldn't control the dog (well duh its a puppy, try a lead maybe?) and to top it off when the dog played up she swung her foot at it.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I hate it when dogs jump up or generaly come up acticing aggressive, I get it more when I'm running on the beach and dunes, I have told a couple of owners in no uncertain terms to 'Put your f***ing dog on a f***ing lead!' only when they make no attempt to control dogs that obviously do this, I mean it is not like there is a restricted view and I find going in hard usualy shocks people enough for them to realise there is a problem. I don't think they realise what could happen. if I get tripped up and fall because of their dog, I could get hurt, then I would sue and I would press charges under the dangerous dogs act, same as any mountain biker should Conversely when riding I have not had a problem with dogs usually they are fine or under control and the owners are nice.

If you can't predict what your dog is going to do have it on a long lead when it might come into contact with other people, a tracking lead gives enough freedom but can give control quickly.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    sounds like you don't like dogs! :lol:
    stop being so mard! :D
  • As a runner (just bought a MTB to gve it a go!) dogs are an occupational bloody hazard, so doesnt surprise me they are a problem to MTB'ers as well.

the number of times dogs are out of control and i've needed to take emergency action is amazing. I get reactions like, "its ok, he doesnt bite" or "well come on then" as their dog tries to attack me or just plain stupid grins because their cute Rover "is only playing" FFS!

Like has been said tho, not the dogs fault its the owner. It also should be said there are some decent owners as well that do everything they can to stop fido doing his chasing thing.
  • DTW
    DTW Posts: 82
    I'm a dog owner, runner and an MTB'r.

My dog does not run after OR jump up anyone, I make sure of that.

As a dog owner I also encounter some idiotic dog owners. My dog is on a lead because he is a bit hyper to say the least, but when other dogs come bounding up to him off their lead and try to mount him which he hates so retaliates, WE have been shouted at by the leadless dog owner.

Some people are just morons.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Its quite simple really, the countryside code says dogs should be kept on leads. Ok fair enough if you have a well trained dog and know how to control it everysingle time, no matter the situation then I have no problem with it being off a lead, but if not, a dog should be on a lead.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    The trouble is people are retarded (for the most part). If you can't train a dog, you shouldn't own a dog.
  • if they can not control there dog ask them for there name and adress to report them under dangerous dogs act even if you dont report them it will scare the sh*t out of them
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    if they can not control there dog ask them for there name and adress to report them under dangerous dogs act even if you dont report them it will scare the sh*t out of them

Erm, good luck with that.

I certainly wouldnt tell some random stranger that my dog's been barking at my address etc.

Hell even if I didnt have a barking dog and they asked I'd tell them where to go...
  • It could be worse...it could've been a bear. We're quite priveledged not to have any real dangerous animals in this country. If the worst that's going to happen is a playful pup getting its muddy paw prints on your pants, I don't think it's really justified to go quoting the dangerous dogs act. Not unless it is a real vicious bastard, totally uncontrolled - and you'll often find their bark worse than their bite.

OK, there's some stinking attitudes out there and this isn't really in response to the original post, it just seems that many bikers are as bad as the walkers who grumble that you're on their paths and so on. A little consideration goes a long way. If you see someone up ahead, slow down, and if you have a dog, call it back. But a dog cannot live its life on a leash. It needs to run. Sure, unless you have full control you need to be vigilant and have it on a leash if required, but where better to let it run than a quiet woodland?

It's some of the exact same attitudes in this thread that would have bikes banned (and have done). I hate rules in the countryside and feel a little courtesy is enough, but now and again you're going to come across something you don't like, just like the bunch of smokers you pass on the way into work. It's no big deal.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    gonga wrote:
    sounds like you don't like dogs! :lol:
    stop being so mard! :D

Couldn't be futher from the truth, I really like dogs and had one for a long time, who could not be trusted so needed looking after.
    Now inconsiderate dog owners are another matter. 8)
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
This discussion has been closed.