Yes it is bike related: Hatchback or estate?

13»

Comments

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    edited February 2010
    proto wrote:
    I wouldn't buy a Saab on the principle of them just being Vauxhalls in disguise, the 93 has got the Vectra (cough!) chassis hasn't it? ..... Saab were a great car, back in the 9000 series days ...

Giantmancp you're talking complete bollocks. Pure nonsense. By your reckoning the SAAB 9000 was a Fiat Croma in disguise, or heaven forbid, a Lancia Thema.

You've either never driven a SAAB or you've never driven a Vauxhall. They drive completely differently, and the SAAB engines are superb. My 9-3 hatch was a brilliant car, in fact it still is as it's now being driven by one of my workmates.

No I'm not actually, perhaps you are mate. The Saab 900 and 9000 series was made by Saab in Sweden, as were the Volvos when they were made by Volvo.

Jesus christ you're not sure what you're saying are you. Yes I have driven an older Saab and very nice it was too. And I have driven a Vauxhall and yes you are right of course they drive differently you idiot.

Make your bloody mind up. You condemn the newer SAABs because they share components with some GM models, yet praise the SAAB 9000 even though it shared components (including the body shell) with the much derided Fiat Croma and Lancia Thema. By your logic it's not a SAAB but a Fiat. I strongly suspect you don't know what you are talking about.

And if you accept, and in fact as you state:
    And I have driven a Vauxhall and yes you are right of course they drive differentl

then why make such a stupid statement about not buying a SAAB because it's just a Vauxhall, in the first place?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Monty Dog wrote:
    At the other extreme, I can also get a bike into my Smart ForTwo but I wouldn't recommend it for regular use!
    As I wrote in the last thread like this, I can get two bikes in the boot of my old Merc (with both wheels off, and maybe seatpost out). Of course it's hardly ideal, but keeping bikes completely out of sight is an unexpected perk. Nobody would ever think that they're there.
  • Muztard
    Muztard Posts: 160
    Alternatively I could spend £4k-£5k and get an 10yr old smoker Audi A6, Mercedes C280, BMW 528. I'd easily get two or three bikes in one of them. And put the savings towards something like an MX-5 :D
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    afcbian wrote:
    huuregeil wrote:
    Another car that hasn't been mentioned is the Mazda 6 estate. Another cracker, reliable, great to drive, and roomy - I almost bought one for my last car. A mate has one and he puts a full double matress in the back for him and the missus on road trips!

It's a Mondeo in disguise :wink:

Err, not true actually. Mazda thought they could make a better car without accessing the Ford corporate parts bin, so choose not to use the new Mondeo platform (or engines) and developed their own.

Whether they've been successful or not - that's a matter of personal choice. I'm biased as I have an old shape Mazda 6 and I love it - so I think it's a miles better car than a Mondeo - but each to their own.

The Mazda 6 and the Mondeo are totally different in origin but do compete in the same class ... http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Mazda-6-1.8-TS/229812/
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/