Steel Frame - How important is internal protection?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited February 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Recently built a steel frame HT, but wasn't really aware of the process of coating the internal of the frame to protect against corrosion. It makes sense now that I know about it, but how important is this?

I've read a few comments online, and opinion seems to be divided. I would imagine that it's pretty difficult to effectively, and evenly, coat the internal of a frame, but if it's something that needs to be done, then so be it.

I have to admit that I'm not particularly keen on stripping the bike, but that's just me being lazy. I understand that various methods include, Framesaver, engine oil, linseed oil, turtle wax etc.

If I did strip the frame, I will obviously remove the bb, but what about the headset cups? Would I need to remove those too in order to do this correctly?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• I think my headset cups remained in place when i oiled the inside of my ala carte and removed the BB.

A tin of wilkinsons wax oil in a spray did the trick and makes the frame last much longer. I too had the same concerns and after my respray the guy who did the work said to blast shots into the frame, frame water holes and bottle cage holes, tip the frame around to make it run through.

My uncle said a tip to warm the frame up first (nothing too drastic) just stand it near the radiator for 30 mins to make any internal spray run better.

Its worth it and stops that "in the back of the mind" niggling and to think should i have done that sensation and is not difficult at all!

Hope this helps

Terry
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im not all that sure tha it really matters, i havent ever seen a bike rusted through. i bet there are more folk with steel bikes who havent done it than have
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    never did anything to my 1984 bike.

still fine, but if you are worried the odd squirt of WD40 in the weld breathing holes and in the main tubes will do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks, for the help. So, even WD40 would be just as effective? I've got some of that, so it would mean that I don't have to buy anything specific, which'll save me some cash! :D
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • It depends on your frame whether it's high Tensile or chromoly metal. If it's a "proper" steel frame like chromoly, I doubt it'll rust through in your lifetime :wink:

As Nick says, WD40 although I used GT85 on my old steel frame. The only beware is corrosion between the chromoly frame and aluminum seat post. Possible check that at least once a month.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks, for the help. So, even WD40 would be just as effective? I've got some of that, so it would mean that I don't have to buy anything specific, which'll save me some cash! :D

it is about the only use it has on a bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well, it's an Inbred, which I believe to be 4130 chromoly metal.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    Thanks, for the help. So, even WD40 would be just as effective? I've got some of that, so it would mean that I don't have to buy anything specific, which'll save me some cash! :D

it is about the only use it has on a bike.

i like to use it to lube my bb and chain and headset.

im joking of course, i just use it a disc cleaner, quietens those squeeling brakes right down
  • nicklouse wrote:
    never did anything to my 1984 bike.

still fine, but if you are worried the odd squirt of WD40 in the weld breathing holes and in the main tubes will do.

I never knew that about WD40, some of us i guess are perfectionists dam OCD :oops:
  • I suppose stripping the bike, and squirting some WD40 is not a big deal really. I'll sort it this weekend.

Thanks, to everyone. :D
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • I've got an Inbred and don't bother.

Also got a 1996 steel bike that hasn't been washed in 6 years. Still intact.

Environmental corrosion of steel is very, very slow - even in sea air. Cr-Mo steel is even less.