Specialized Secteur/Allez sizing for 5' 8" male

mrmuddybum
mrmuddybum Posts: 20
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Lo folks,

First time in this forum as i'm an MTB rider myself :)

Anyway, I'm on the verge of buying a Specialized Secteur or Allez for my 16 year old son, and am in a dilemma about which size bike to choose as the LBS has said he would fit a 52 or a 54 bike.

Now, he doesn't know he's getting the bike as its a birthday gift, so I need a best guess at the right one to get. Its not a problem in taking it back, but obviously I would rather not have to if I can help it, and I don't want to have to let him in on the surprise by taking him to the LBS for a fitting.

Just hoping someone might be of a similar stature and can advise.

If it helps, his inside leg measurement is 31 inches (80cm).

Also, if it helps he does sometimes ride my bike, a medium size Pitch Pro, but finds it just slightly too big, and I'm pretty much the same height, which makes me wonder if the smaller 52 would probably be better than the 54.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I reckon both would fit but 54 cos if he's 16 he may still grow a bit.
  • Tricky one - I suspect you'll find he may well be "between sizes"! For what it's worth, I'm 5-7" with 30" inside leg, and having taken a quick squizz at the Spec. geomtery, a 50cm would fit me perfectly (I'd reckon on a 520 to 525mm top tube is my size). So I'd reckon going a size up would be about right for your son, however one factor you probably need to consider that I don't (due to longevity) is that laddo is probably still growing at a fair pace, so going to the 54 may future proof the bike a bit.
    I reckon you'd probably be able to cover the difference between a 52 and a 54 by adjusting stem length anyway, so worst case if it's not perfect then probably a longer/shorter stem will fix it - if he's just starting out a precise bike fit to the mm will be somewhat meaningless anyway until he finds his shape on a road bike - so I wouldn't stress over it too much, just get him on a bike & hope he feels the joy :-)
  • 56 cm centre to top of tube should be OK for you.
  • Depends how you like your bikes. You need to test them, personally i'd go for a 56 at 6' but at your height i'd go for a 54 (personally)
  • I have the Specialized Roubaix (exact same geometry as Sectaur) in a 54cm, and I am 5'7" with inside leg of around 30" to 31". I find the bike very confortable - last year I did a hilly 100 miler on it no problems.

The Specialized website gives a guide, which has a 54cm for 5'8" to 5'10", yet several bike shops websites I checked have a Specialized sizing chart that shows the 54cm for 5'6" to 5'9". Not sure why they are different.

I know that variations in body length vs. leg length vs. arm length etc, as well as flexibility and just general preference for riding position and style make a difference, so it's hard to judge on person from another.

But, for the OP, given that you can exchange anyway it's not a major problem. I'd go for the 54cm, as, like others have said, he will still be growing anyway. If it's not big enough now, it soon will be!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I would go with the 54cm albeit only just in that category.
  • I've got a 54cm Allez Sport 2010, I'm 5'8" with a 31" inside leg so I'd suggest the 54cm.

As mentioned above he may well get taller and outgrow a 52cm.
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    Lillywhite wrote:
    56 cm centre to top of tube should be OK for you.

Are you relating to me or the OP?

Referring to you. Why don't you try the 56 cm if the shop will allow it? Then you'll know if it will be suitable. If not go to a shop that will allow you to try a 54 cm and a 56 cm.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Lillywhite wrote:
    56 cm centre to top of tube should be OK for you.

Are you relating to me or the OP?

Referring to you. Why don't you try the 56 cm if the shop will allow it? Then you'll know if it will be suitable. If not go to a shop that will allow you to try a 54 cm and a 56 cm.

I'm 5 10 and 32 inside leg. 56 was slightly big. 54 good fit for me
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    Thanks - I have ridden the 56 as they have them in stock. It wasn't a bad fit but was wondering if I was maybe a little stretched (with my arms) - I did inform my shop who said they would just give me a shorter stem! I would like to try the 54 frame though!

There you go then. Stand over the frame and if there's clearly some clearance over the top tube then it should be OK. It you feel overstretched then have a shorter stem. Most stock frames come in increments of 2 cm on the seat tube so the only way to customise is with the seat post or stem, amd maybe the saddle positioning.
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    Or is it a case of 6 of one half a dozen of the other - whereby I could get the 54 but it may feel a little cramped and therefore need a longer stem???!!!!!!!

Probably. We're all different for a given height, arm and leg length. The only real answer is to go a retail outlet that will allow you to try different sizes and maybe swop the stem over for a different size.
    This is why I prefer to buy a frame only and customise the equipment, to my exact requirements. :wink:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Ive got an 08 Allez size 54 and Im 5-10 with 34" inside leg (floor to crotch). My other bike is a Cervelo 56 which has the same reach. I can only conclude the Specs come up a bit on the big side. The smaller the frame the lower it is at the front so on my Allez I have to have a lot of spacers under the stem because my saddle is quite high (over 20 cms of seat post showing). Should really have him fitted.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I think I'd always incline towards a bike slightly too small over one slightly too big as its usualy a little bit easier to adapt - ie by raising the seat post, and also a 54 will come with a 100mm stem so you can only really lose 10mm of that, down to 90, as opposed to going the other way where you can go to a 120 or 140 stem.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Ive got an 08 Allez size 54 and Im 5-10 with 34" inside leg (floor to crotch). My other bike is a Cervelo 56 which has the same reach. I can only conclude the Specs come up a bit on the big side. The smaller the frame the lower it is at the front so on my Allez I have to have a lot of spacers under the stem because my saddle is quite high (over 20 cms of seat post showing). Should really have him fitted.

I'm 5 11 with 34 inside leg and have a 58 roubaix....which suggests to me that simply altering the saddle height and stem length, one person will fit a multitude of frame sizes.....
  • If it helps any, I'm 5 feet 8 and 32 inch inside leg (age 40), ride a specialized secteur and is spot on for moi
    'If you worry you die, if you don't worry you still die, so why worry?"
  • If it helps any, I'm 5 feet 8 and 32 inch inside leg (age 40), ride a specialized secteur and is spot on for moi

Which size do you ride?

I may try them out for size myself and then take into account that he finds the Pitch Pro a bit too big. If a 54 Secteur only just fits me, then maybe a 52 would be better for him.

I'm not too bothered about the fact that he may gain another inch or so, its only a bike to get him started in road cycling and he'll want to get a better one if he takes it up properly anyway.

Thanks for all the replies so far by the way :)
  • Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    Im 5'7 and ride a 52cm tarmac but I think my growing phase is over...