I am a Roadie WooHoo

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
I bought a new Cannondale Hi Mod Synapse, alright its not a full on race bike but its a great frame to put some road miles in.

Signed up for the Northern Rock Cyclone in June and the Ride Across Britain in 2011.

I got frame, forks, seatpost, FSA SLK crank w/ BB30, Carbon Headset & SRAM 1070 chain.

on the hunt for the rest of the build kit (new or used, although used seems hard to come by)

advice welcome! excited.... bring on the summer and the very early weekend rides.

Geordie
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Congratulations on your purchase, I'd love a blast on a Hi Mod.

Based purely on my own recent decisions on additions to my synapse (that's the norm here, right?) I'm gonna recommend these... :wink:

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=105835

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sram-Rival-Blac ... _26938.htm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Swiss ... 360042711/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 360030874/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vitto ... 360035176/

Very very happy with the wheels and tyres, have improved the lovely ride quality of the Synapse but greatly improved the performance. Acceleration is staggering on new wheels, completely amazed.

Brake pads significantly better than shimano pads. Smooth, consistent powerful breaking, much less, if any gunk left on rims. Supposedly good on rim wear.

Yet to ride with the Sram bits on, get the bike back tomorrow but it at least looks way better than Shimano105 , will be up in the Your Bikes soon.
    8)

In all seriousness the wheels are awesome.
  • advice - are you from Sunderland or a Geordie ?
    make your mind up
  • Evil Laugh
    Maybe he's on a secret undercover mission shhh
  • oh alright, i'm from sunderland. just moved there, but to be fair i ride to newcastle every day.

wy aye man
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Evil Laugh

Yep - I had looked at those DA wheels. Competitive Cyclist says they make a real difference. I notice the Ultegra pnes are £200 a pair at the mo on one of the online sites. they look a bit good, well rated by bikeradar. Sort of a naked on the outside look.

thank you for your links. magic.

was thinking of iclic or keo carbon pedals
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • that makes you a mackem, change your name
  • well, maybe they don't review that well after all. cracked rims according to a few folk.... can;t have that on the way up to said cake cafe.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • so you like smelling chips then do you?
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Evil Laugh
    Merlin are cheaper for the DA wheels and Ribble for the tyres but wiggle had the reviews you could read hence links.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Nice build. Did you buy your 'dale frameset locally? Interested in a CAAD9 to replace my Allez.

I'm caught in the abyss between the Mackems and the Geordies.
  • wiffachip wrote:
    that makes you a mackem, change your name

Looks like you've upset a barcode geordiefella
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Haha

Reeet - Had enough of your Mackem bashing......Clearly folk who live in Sunderland are better riders and better footballers.........

:lol:

Seriously....if any one fancies a 'bike radar' bike ride one day...we could organise something one weekend. Ride out to Blanchland ?

Good luck with your new bike.
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Nice build. Did you buy your 'dale frameset locally? Interested in a CAAD9 to replace my Allez.

Gods country mate i wouldn't describe it as the absyss. I'm from South Shields originally and now live in Gosforth (Newcastle) but am a passionate Sunderland fan. Wow how confused am i ?????
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • Ha Ha. It's getting a bit passionate around here aint it.

love to have a bike radar ride out sure, once i'm done putting the machine together

Bought frame from the states along with FSA crank and carbon IS headset. Just sourcing all the other bits for as much dura ace as i can afford for a nice lightweight steed.
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • there's a CAAD going in the classifieds a saw 54cm in think 600 quid. looks nice
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • Lagavulin
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Lagavulin wrote:

Gods country mate i wouldn't describe it as the absyss...
    Yeah I just meant I'm stuck between the two warring factions. I’m Shields born and bred myself.
    I see the odd mortar round go over now and again but it’s just friendly banter. :lol:
  • Lagavulin
    there's a CAAD going in the classifieds a saw 54cm in think 600 quid. looks nice
    Aye, saw that, cheers. It does look good. Better than the 2010 colourways on the two options (Black or Liquigas) I was considering.
  • I'm an inbetweenie as well - From very posh Jarrow - now ya all are jealous :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Lagavulin
    I'm an inbetweenie as well - From very posh Jarrow...
    He knows it's ''Jarra'' really. :wink: :P

Also might be up for a N/E BikeRadar ride if you lot call a truce.
  • aye, time to bury the hatchet and get a few friendly miles in

how about the Geordies head owa the wata, pick up the sandancers, join up with the mackems and maybe a few monkey hangers could tag along. Pit yakkers welcome
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Well I'm from the posh part of Gosforth ...........erm Fawdon lol.

If you guys get the ride sorted then count me in. I know a load of decent routes having ridden with Goforth RC for the last few years.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    I'm an inbetweenie as well - From very posh Jarrow...
    He knows it's ''Jarra'' really. :wink: :P

Also might be up for a N/E BikeRadar ride if you lot call a truce.

OK it's Jarra....I was just trying to talk "swanky", Bobby Thompson style :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    I did me first ever 'Century ride' around the streets of South Shields in 1976, 3 days after me Dad put the first 'mileometer' on the single speed, drop-handlebar bike he'd built for my 12th birthday. There were some big climbs in that, mind you - Lizard Lane up past Whitburn Golf Club; Marsden Bank; Beach Road! Bit too far way now to join you all on any rides that get going, but if you ever need a 100-miler without leaving Shields, I can probably knock something up on bikeroutetoaster for you! Pedal canny, bonny lads.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Marcosplace
    Marcosplace Posts: 103
    Anyone suggest some routes or dates for a radar ride in Gods country....
  • Lagavulin
    Garrigou wrote:
    I did me first ever 'Century ride' around the streets of South Shields in 1976... There were some big climbs in that, mind you - Lizard Lane up past Whitburn Golf Club; Marsden Bank; Beach Road!
    Respect for honking up some of those on a fixed.
    I assume by Marsden Bank you may have been referring to Redwell Bank (up from the A183 onto Lizard Lane where the Marsden Inn is). It might be short and sharp but I hate that in 39-27 or 34-25. :oops:
  • ninjaslim
    ninjaslim Posts: 243
    Was it fixed or free?

He said single speed eh

I did 100K fixed the Sunday before last and 100miles last Sunday on gears and I reckon it was as bout as hard as each other.
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Single-speed, but not fixed. I was only 12 and I didn't appreciate the future 'cool' value of a single speed when all my mates had 3-speed Choppers or 5-speed derailleurs. But I still used to outclimb them!
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.