Avid Juicy 3 Problems

toby_winkler
toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I was cleaning my bike today, and I knew the rear brake pads on my bike where running low (I had actually just ordered some new ones off crc before cleaning my bike). So I took the pads out to have a look and see how they where when I found this:

Avidbrakes.jpg

(Sorry about the poor quality, I just took it on my webcam because my my camera is out of battery, but you can see what is the problem). Now I don't know how long it has been like this, but I have been on a few big rides in the last week or so and it has been holding up fine, and it definitely did not just brake when I took the pads out this afternoon. I have tried to get it back in with the broken bit (don't know what its official name is) but this was not successful. These are the new pads that I have ordered:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35413

Does anybody know if these will come with a replacement part? Or if I will need to buy the part my self (from my LBS, which I am guessing should have some, even though its a bit crap)

Comments

• kdw712
    kdw712 Posts: 72
    the same thing happened to me last year
    had a weird noise at the start of a ride
    check and the spring you have there was broken

When i got the new pads (did front and rear) they had the spring clip with them
  • kdw712 wrote:
    the same thing happened to me last year
    had a weird noise at the start of a ride
    check and the spring you have there was broken

When i got the new pads (did front and rear) they had the spring clip with them

I'm hoping my new ones have them too, its just some of the ones on crc have pictures of the "spring" along with the pads, but the ones I ordered didn't. I suppose I will just have to wait and see when they get here if they come with one or not. Just means i wont be able to ride this weekend, unless the pads turn up tomorrow which would be nice :)
  • kdw712
    kdw712 Posts: 72
    i would think they will
    as i brought pukka avid ones for the front and the noticed the rear needed changing too
    so brought some from a different shop which were clarkes ( i think )

need to be done again soon so will be getting some superstar ones
  • kdw712 wrote:
    i would think they will
    as i brought pukka avid ones for the front and the noticed the rear needed changing too
    so brought some from a different shop which were clarkes ( i think )

need to be done again soon so will be getting some superstar ones

I just went for the Clarks one because they where the cheapest, I know its probably not the best way to go about buying brake pads, but as long as they work I'm not really that bothered (and come with a new "spring")
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Juicy 3's often break or bend springs when the pads are getting low.

All the pads I've ever bought have come with a spring.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC wrote:
    Juicy 3's often break or bend springs when the pads are getting low.

All the pads I've ever bought have come with a spring.

Nice one! I know juicy 3's aren't the best, hopefully will get rid of them soon once I have some money.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    There's nothing wrong with Juicy 3's.

Lots of people seem to have problems with them, but if you look after them, they stop as well as most.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • +1 on ^^

Juicy 3's are good brakes, sadly most performance problems are down to heavier riders on 160mm rotors with factory pads.
    Increase the rotor diameter, fit some EBC (or other brand) pads and you'll feel the difference
  • Well I have never really had any problems with mine, apart from the one this post is about. I just know they don't have the best reputation! New pads are on there way, so hopefully they will be a bit better after these are fitted.
  • I've just bought some of those pads (arrived yesterday) and they came with a spring.
  • davewalsh wrote:
    I've just bought some of those pads (arrived yesterday) and they came with a spring.

Awesome! I was hoping someone who has purchased these would come along. Thanks for the info.
  • No worries, glad I could help !