Do you share food/a bidon?

Team Banana Spokesman
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
I have started to ride with a group.

most come unprepared and it bugs me.

we did a 4 hours in the rain and people came with only 500ml of drink and a banana or two.

I had a lot more because ive not done a ride this long before but I shared my stuff which think I really needed in the last 30 mins coming home. :(

one guy in the group also had a lot but wasnt sharing. we were sat at the back talking and he says that 99% of cyclists underestimate there needs and it annoys him so he doesnt share to teach them a lesson.

it was strange because I see his argument. but I would not hold back the liquid if a rider was in trouble. :?

thoughts?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Usually I share.

I've been fortunate enough to have been bailed out a few times when I ran out of food when I was starting out on faster club runs.

Most people are quite embarrased when they have to borrow stuff and appreciate the sentiment.

If they start asking me for food and drink it's a different story...
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    If I have food or drink spare (and I usually do) then of course I'd share, and regularly do. If the cyclists without were coming back every week undersupplied it would be a different matter but I don't find that happens in my neck of the woods.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2010
    Most people are quite embarrased when they have to borrow stuff and appreciate the sentiment.

Yes, indeed. Sometimes if I go out with an extra bidon in my pocket and have more than enough, i'll offer it to anyone who needs it, and you usually see who's in trouble and afraid to ask once you do that. I've forced bananas on people many times.

Although, if there was a repeat offender who never learned, i'd just stop riding with them. There are some people I used to ride with who insisted on not eating at all, because they were trying to lose weight and bought into the whole "bonk training" myth. I would offer stuff, but they would take it as some kind of insult. :roll:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Generally most in our club come prepared although we did have one turn up to a 75 mile RRide with nothing on him at all!
    I usually carry more than I need and will share if someone is in trouble or has forgotten to bring a drink as they have been in a rush. Like others though I won't offer to persistant offenders who should know better.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've only ever been caught out with too little water once, on a chaingang ride in summer. the ride was almost finished and we were all heading back into town and I was parched. I'd held off hoping I could get all the way back but in the end decided I couldn't and asked a fellow rider if I could just take a slurp of his water. He allowed me to but he didn't look very impressed, so I assume I made an enormous social faux pas...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have to admit that I'm quite a fussy bugger and although I would quite happily share food, I wouldn't like people to drink out of my Bidon.

I would and have given people some of my water/fluids when we have stopped and transferred into their bidons, but it's just me be particular
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Share, all and always. I might chide a friend if they habitually go unprepared, but I wouldn't deny them anything they requested, as long as I didn't need it myself.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The thing with bike bottles is that you don't have to actually put it in your mouth - you can squirt the liquid in without making contact with the bottle at all, so there's less risk of sharing bodily fluids
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I have started to ride with a group.

most come unprepared and it bugs me.

we did a 4 hours in the rain and people came with only 500ml of drink and a banana or two.

I had a lot more because ive not done a ride this long before but I shared my stuff which think I really needed in the last 30 mins coming home. :(

one guy in the group also had a lot but wasnt sharing. we were sat at the back talking and he says that 99% of cyclists underestimate there needs and it annoys him so he doesnt share to teach them a lesson.

it was strange because I see his argument. but I would not hold back the liquid if a rider was in trouble. :?

thoughts?

your 'new best friend' sounds like a 'right pheasant plucker' !
  • I tend to always take more stuff than i need, including FAK and tools. I'd rather be prepared. But then if it's a close knit bunch then you can split the portage of some stuff and work out ffod etc. between you.

As for bidons, the rule of thumb i apply both on rides i do, and when i'm coaching is you never drink from your own bottle that someone else has borrowed. So drink your fill and hand it over.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Bhima wrote:
    I've forced bananas on people many times.

Kinky bugger...is that legal Bhima? :wink:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Share with new riders, not with people who should know better (you only bonk once, after that you're always stocked up I find).

It's almost as bad as people who don't maintain their bike. Had people come out with chains made up of the cut offs of about 20 others and wondering why they've snapped, or riding tubular for training and puncturing miles out.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I believe what goes around comes around. People have given me a gel or something before, so I'd be happy to help someone else when they need it.

I wouldn't share a bidon though; for the sake of hygiene.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I do share food, innertubes and puncture repair kits happily , ive never been happy about shareing my water bottle due to hygiene but i do share it if it is needed it could be me who needs the help one day
    I have stopped helping out the repeat offenders as they should have learnt there lesson but still insist on rideing without a spare innertube or puncture repair kit.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact