Deep joy! Victory in altercation with driver!

mattbibbings
mattbibbings Posts: 95
edited May 2010 in Campaign
Ok, it's a small victory but I feel so pleased I had to post the result.

I had been out on my fixie and was trying to turn right back into my road. I sgnalled and moved out to the middle of the road. A hay lorry was coming the other way so I slowed to a crawl (remember, I was on a 42x16 fixed) to allow him to come past before I turned. I heard a loud rev from behind me and before I knew it a White BMW pushed through on my left, missing me by millimeters and forcing me to swerve into the path of the oncoming Hay Lorry!I I managed to just miss the hay lorry and swerve back into my lane. Shocked, I took off after the BMW as I knew he was about to get caught at a traffic light.

I tapped on his window and (my langauge was a touch colourful but non threatening) asked him what he thought he was playing at. He replied in a similar fashion that he was in the right and had caused me no harm!

Heres the good bit.....

I asked him if he wanted to come to the Police Station around the corner and say the same thing to the Police.

HE AGREED!!!

SO off we went to the cop shop. I got there first and pushed the Duty bell and comended Him and his Wife for the bravery in coming to stand up for their actions (bit cheeky but couldn't resist)

I told the Duty Sargent that I had come with a complaint about the agressive nature of the mans driving. He was a bit shocked that we were both there voluntarilly.

He took me off to get my side of the story and then questioned the BMW driver about his side of events. I think it helped that the Bobby was a cyclist too but he came down wholly on my side of the fence and told the guy off for not taking enough care around cyclists!
The BMW driver had to apologise to me and take a telling off from the bobby! Now I know thats not much in the grand scheme but firstly I can't believe he came to the cops with me and then the fact that I was belived and supported by the police. I felt vindicated in my actions and a warm sense of support from the local police. To me, a victory.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    :D:D:D:D Well done, seems you struck lucky with the bobby though.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    :lol:

Nice one Matt! Welcome to BR.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Hi Matt, Glad that worked out well for you. As I see it we're sometimes faced with 3 choices in these circumstances. First, as in your example being caught in the middle so to speak waiting correctly until it's safe to make the rht turn. Second, wait in the middle of your side of the road so traffic approaching to your rear have no chance to squeeze by. Third, chicken out completely and wait at the side of the road until it is clear both ways then make the turn. What you decide will depend on many things such as your speed on approach, width of road, road markings, amount of traffic etc.

Interested in others views, I hope I haven't hijacked your thread too much,

Ron
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Great story, glad it worked out for you.

Welcome to the forum btw!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Some first post!

I'd imagine there are more drivers who honestly think they have complete and total right of way over bicycles whatever the circumstnaces.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

I'd imagine there are more drivers who honestly think they have complete and total right of way over bicycles whatever the circumstnaces.

Sadly that is true.

Its not helped by some driving instructors who seem to teach that lesson to their pupils
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    spen666 wrote:

Sadly that is true.

Its not helped by some driving instructors who seem to teach that lesson to their pupils

Wasn't my experience of driving instructors!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Top story, well done.

But no sh1t it was a BMW driver, guaranteed to be an agressive driver and a knob.
    He really was thick to take up your offer to accompany you to the cop shop. If he hadn't and you still went, the cops wouldn't have done anything.

But good on you anyway.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dilemna
    :roll:

But an interesting insight into the mindset of some non-cycling drivers. He clearly believed he'd done nothing wrong otherwise he wouldn't have gone with you.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    And dilemna - tarring all BM drivers with that brush is the same thing as them calling all cyclists red light jumping lycra thugs.

Glad it was all resolved peacefully in this circumstance.
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    mroli wrote:
    And dilemna - tarring all BM drivers with that brush is the same thing as them calling all cyclists red light jumping lycra thugs.

Glad it was all resolved peacefully in this circumstance.

A bit like saying all police officers dont want to know either!
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    mroli wrote:
    - tarring all BM drivers with that brush .
    they do that themselves.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    spen666 wrote:

Sadly that is true.

I am a driving instructor and the standard instruction is to give cyclists twice as much clearance as you would give a parked car. This means 2 metres. As a cyclist myself it means I am very pro active on the subject but like all professions some instructors really do noy give a stuff unfortunately.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    oi - not all bm drivers are knobs ! I have an old 328 - and a sticker on the back window saying make room for cyclists :lol:
  • macondo01
    macondo01 Posts: 706
    Wow! That must have been a bit surreal lining up at the police station. Good for you and good outcome.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon