Forks n Frame,

Pands
Pands Posts: 40
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hello,

I am looking at putting some 160mm Fox Vans on my Stumpjumper Elite 07 replacing the Fox Talas 140mm.

I know this will change the way the bike handles, however can it cause any damage to the frame and basicly will it be ok?

I have had a look on speshes site but cannot seem to find anything.

Cheers for any advice :D
Spesh Sworks Enduro Custom Build!!

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    depends if the frame is designed to take a fork of that length,,

it will stress certain ares of the frame and could cause faliure,, check with spesh look on their website to see what the recomended forks length is...
  • Pands
    I’ve had a look there archive only seems to go back to 2009 :evil:

Unsure what to do now, I have a good deal some on Vans and have a up coming alps trip the last thing I want is my frame going when im in france :oops:
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    You 'should' be ok with a 20mm increase. It'll mean an end to your lifetime frame warranty (if you're the first owner).
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'd contact Spech and ask them. There is a chance you'll damage the frame (it's got a longer "lever" attached to it).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would not.a 120mm frame that came with a 100 to 140 fork

you will end up with a bike that is a bit barge like to ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pands
    Thanks for the replys,

I have sent spesh an help request asking if the new forks should be ok, im not overly bothered about the warranty.

nicklouse thats my other worry that the bike will be awful to ride, the front is already light on climbs,

Suppose I was hoping someone would have done it before and say its all gravey :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i couldnt imagine what wuold make you put a 160mm fork on that bike.

invariably, if a person wants to ride a 160mm for, they want to ride a bike designed for it. the stumpy wont be upto being ridden in the way a 160mm bike warrants. if your not goingt o ride it like you average 160mm forked bike, youre probs best off keeping what you have.
  • Pands
    Well the idea behind the upgrade is,

I have just upgraded the Brakes - Hope Tech M4s +203 rotors F/R and Mavic 819rims with Pro 2 hubs for the alps in june, the front hub is 20 thru axle and atm I am using the QR converters.

I am a heaver rider 100kilos, and thought the mix between 20mm thru axle on the Fox Vans and the 36mm sanctions would be a god send over there,

I plan at some point (after the alps) to swap the frame to a Pace 405 or similar,

Webster you make a good point about riding style, I am conservative to say the least the fork upgrade is more for stiffness than travel...

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    would you consider a 140mm fork with a bolt thru axle instead? something like the pike might be a good solution or a modern revelation at 140mm with a 20mm maxle perhaps?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and with a Uturn so you can drop the front for the climbs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pands
    Cheers guys ill check both of them out :P
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    first time i went to whistler i was running a fox talas r 32 on my santacruz heckler whistler and lack of style proved to much for the puny 140 mm fork it kept bottoming out on everything,,
    i upgraded to a marzocchi 55ata (worse luck) the beefier fork made a huge difference in that big mountain terrain,, the jump from 140 to 165mm slackened the bikes geomertry off nicley i think it made the bike handle better having the longet fork ,... i know my heckler is designed to take 140 but will take upto 160MM.. it does make the front end wonder on climbs but a change in techneique will sort that,,, i have fox 36 talas rc2 on now so can drop it to 100 mm for climbing, or 130....
  • 160mm does seem a lot, I swapped the 120 on my stumpy for a 140mm and that is fantastic for blasting around on, 160mm up front seems mis-matched with the rear travel also...