big d's afternoon rant

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    xSTRATHYx
    Mate, I haven't played for at least a week, I'm going to be awful!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    sheeps

i am pretty sure as it is a 2nd job the emergency tax element bands at 40% or something.

Not in agreement with it TBH but then i am not Gordon Brown.

in a nutshell Tax sucks. But we still have to pay it!
    maybe the word futile isnt appropriate but lets say she gets 10 quid per shift after tax and contributions and does 4 of them for 40 quid, it would only be fair that she got paid 70 quid for doing 7 shifts in my opinion. those second shifts are classed as a second job as she works for the nursing bank.

for whatever reason, it doesnt work out like that so as far as i can see, she is getting paid less.
  • xstrathyx
    bails you think you ve got problems....?

I think my missus has hid my controller.........! :cry:
    bails87 wrote:
    xSTRATHYx
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    xSTRATHYx

Does it vibrate? :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • xstrathyx
    ahhhh that explains why the missus has been happy the last few nights :?
    bails87 wrote:
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    xSTRATHYx

Does it vibrate? :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    xSTRATHYx wrote:
    sheeps

i am pretty sure as it is a 2nd job the emergency tax element bands at 40% or something.

Not in agreement with it TBH but then i am not Gordon Brown.

in a nutshell Tax sucks. But we still have to pay it!

its a case of the old death and taxes being the only certain things in the world.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    edited February 2010
    Most people are on the standard 647L = tax free earnings of £6470 per year.

This equates to £539 per month tax free earnings, so no matter how many jobs you have you will be taxed if you earn anything over that, if you have a hundred jobs but get paid less than that a month you wont.

Because most people are already over their allowance threshold on the first job the second job is automatically taxed at BR which is a flat 20% on anything you earn.

However if your yearly earnings are over £35k (ish, they're always moving the allowance rate) then you go on the D0 tax code on your second job which is a flat 40% on all earnings as again you'll be over the tax threshold allowance due to your first job.

(this is super simplified by the way)

Regarding the whole, people should get taxed at the same rate...

So if the rich didnt get taxed 40 or 50% depending on where they lay, where is the shortfall of this income going to come from? Either tax hikes in other areas or by simply increasing the tax basis full stop to plug the shortfall.

So we have the situation where the rich get richer faster (less outgoings on earnings compared to now).

As Bails said its all progressive, a high earner can afford to pay more tax and still earn a hell of a lot more money than someone on the standard 647L/20%.

Infact lets put this into perspective (yes these are extremes) -

20k year earner: http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php ... w%5B%5D=wk

100k week earner (footballer): http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php ... w%5B%5D=wk

Now if you argued that we got taxed at the same rate, the footballer would be walking away with roughtly £4,099,056 a year after tax/ni. That a million difference, and he can certainly afford to pay that million as he is still walking away with 3, if he wasnt paying that tax difference think how much everyone else would have to pay to make it backup to clear the shortfall. (and thats just one person, there are plenty of earners getting 100k+)[/b]
  • You're living on the wrong Island.

FACT!

The first £20k of my earnings is income tax free, above that, it's 10% on the rest.

(that's not exactly how it works, it's a simplified version, but it's near enough)

[/smug]
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    You're living on the wrong Island.

FACT!

The first £20k of my earnings is income tax free, above that, it's 10% on the rest.

(that's not exactly how it works, it's a simplified version, but it's near enough)

[/smug]

He's a witch! Burn him!
  • xstrathyx
    i am not in favour of +1

but this is a big fat +1 and some
    adb1006 wrote:
    You're living on the wrong Island.

FACT!

[/smug]

He's a witch! Burn him!
  • Oh, and we dont pay council tax either.

Bwuuuhahahaha