Mountain Bike Trainer

Moomin Papa
Moomin Papa Posts: 44
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Good evening,

I'm thinking about getting a bike trainer. I haven't been out all over the winter and want to get my fitness up before the weather gets a bit better.

As it happens, i'm also pretty skint!

I see lots of expensive ones but fewer cheaper ones. Can anyone recommend a trainer sub-£150?????

Also, I live in a flat - are these trainers noisy, i.e. noisy enough to go through the floor???

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks!

Comments

• I got one a magnetic resistance one very recently for about £80 to use with good intentions

Yes they are noisy !! (at least mine is!)

BUT even more annoyingly :shock:

They are very very boring to use and in the 4 weeks i've owned mine i have used it 3 times for a maximum of 30 minutes before stopping from being bored

My best advice is

GET OUT ON THE MOUNTAIN BIKE, IT WAS BUILT TO BE THROWN DOWN THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN SO A BIT OF RAIN AINT GONNA HURT IT OR YOU !!! :)
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • My best advice is

GET OUT ON THE MOUNTAIN BIKE, IT WAS BUILT TO BE THROWN DOWN THE SIDE OF A MOUNTAIN SO A BIT OF RAIN AINT GONNA HURT IT OR YOU !!! :)[/quote]

Here Here :D
    Trek Series 6
    GT Avalanche
  • Hi guys,

thanks for the replies!

I appreciate your sentiment but I'd really like to get a trainer to build up some fitness.

Any recommendations on trainers and noise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Moomin
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They're all noisy,some of the cheaper ones are VERY noisy.IIRC magnetic are less noisy than the fan assisted jobbies.Go on wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Trainers/
    Click on the description of each trainer and it gives you a noise rating.
    Downsides are:
    You have to use most of them with a slick tyre,although IIRC you can get a MTB tyre specific trainer.
    You sweat buckets with in 2 minutes.
    Most people(except roadies)use them a couple of times then the boredom sets in.
    If you really want one get the best you can afford,but they really aren't a substitute for getting out and riding.
  • Using a trainer may be able to produce as much exercise as slogging through miles of mud and clawing your way uphill, but it just won't produce the same sized grin as that sketchy downhill at 30mph. :wink:

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    By all means use a trainer, they are a good way of building fitness quickly.

40mins on a trainer is probably the equivalent of a two hour ride (no stopping and no descending or freewheeling)

The best turbo's to buy for an MTB would be one of the Minoura rim drive trainers, you can use any tyres you like on them.

You won't get one for £80 maybe try ebay
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    One on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Minoura-Turbo-Trainer-Indoor-Cycling-Rola-850_W0QQitemZ220561686400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL?hash=item335a803f80

I have the exact same one and it does the job its supposed to and is pretty quiet.

Make sure you get the rear wheel quick release that comes with it though
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey