What to use to stop cables damaging frame?

iRider
iRider Posts: 33
edited March 2010 in Workshop
Hi, anyone know anything to stop the cables, from over time, causing the paint to wear away from the frame, where the cables rub when turning etc...

Thanks.
"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever."
Lance Armstrong

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Helicopter tape.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • reba6768
    reba6768 Posts: 1,030
    Clear tape from Wickes - only a couple of quid a roll and tough.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    This stuff is excellent http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sports_Cover_Bike_Shield_Half_Pack_Frame_Protector_Set/5360006691/
    Its not the cheapest but it looks great and is still easy to remove is needed.Yet it doesn't peel.
    You can get a slightly larger pack which will do most of your bike and its only about £3 dearer.
    I have this on my Kuota for the cable runs, chainstay, back of the seat tube and the downtube just to protect from stones and stuff.After thsi I still had a lot left in the kit.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I just use electricians tape in the same colour as the frame. Stops cable rub and is a doddle to remove, leaves no residue etc.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I use rubber cable grommets (donuts). Any decent bike shop should have them, usually in black or transparent. They even sell them in Halfords and are cheap as chips, as some might say!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Clear Fablon from B&Q - £3 or £4 for a long wide roll to cut to size/shape as you need
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I cut some dainty carbon effect vinyl patches and stick them in a few places to stop the rub damaging the paint
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Mmm, I didn't read your thread correctly. In addition to grommets I also use frame patches where the cable sleeves rub.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Wappygixer wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that that is the same stuff as the Helicopter Tape, in a more expensive box.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    andrew_s wrote:
    Wappygixer wrote:

I'd be willing to bet that that is the same stuff as the Helicopter Tape, in a more expensive box.

This isn't really a tape as such.Its got a rubbery feel to it and the surface is slightly dimpled.
    Its pretty thick too, I'd say 1-2mm
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Wappygixer wrote:
    This isn't really a tape as such.Its got a rubbery feel to it and the surface is slightly dimpled.
    Its pretty thick too, I'd say 1-2mm

Different stuff then. I lose :(
    The helicopter tape is quite thin, intended to be pretty much invisible if you've taken care putting it on.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Using coloured insulation tape like mentioned above. I used to use those leeches which were meant to be for puncture repair but they wore out fast.
  • mpd62
    mpd62 Posts: 71
    left hand =front brake, Right hand= rear brake,, euro style, the rear brake cable comes around the headtube without touching
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    It's not just brakes. The problem of paint wear has become more prevalent since the introduction of Ergo/STI gear systems. The gear cables are very stiff and generally push hard against the frame at some point.

(I have a bike that has recently been moved from aero brake levers/downtube gears to Ergo and now get a bit of paint rub due to the gear cables) Same on all my other bikes as well.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    ajb72 wrote:
    I just use electricians tape in the same colour as the frame. Stops cable rub and is a doddle to remove, leaves no residue etc.

+1
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4