pressurised shock on a flight?

baccodaddy
baccodaddy Posts: 128
edited March 2010 in MTB general
so i,m off to oz later in the year and have read that airlines wont allow shocks with nitrogen in them.i have a fox rp23 and don,t know if this applies ,if it does then surely no one would take a full susser abroad or am i missing something??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not a problem or an issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • don,t mean to be ignorant but could you explain the basis behind your answer its an expensive trip for a marathon and i,m worried it could all go up in smoke,i,ll be flying with emirates if that helps.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    if you're worried you could take off the shock, and put it in your hand luggage, as the passenger area will be presurised. they might think it's a bomb though :roll:
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    I would guess a small, grenade shaped item with a big switch on it won't go unnoticed in your rucksack, at check-in.
  • RP23 is an air shock, so there shouldn't be any issues flying with it fitted
    If in doubt, leave it on the bike where it rightly belongs and wont arouse any suspicions and depressurise it before you fly.
    When you arrive in Oz, break out the Topeak shock pump and you're back in business.

Carry the RP23 in your hand luggage or suitcase where it doesn't belong and you may just end up being delayed and/or having the shock confiscated by some zealous security bod.
  • Not an issue.

Pressure in shock = 120psi
    Air pressure at altitude = 4psi
    Air pressure at sea level = 14psi

Effectively adding 10psi to a 120psi shock won't hurt it - just the same as a fat man sitting on your bike.
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    baccodaddy wrote:
    so i,m off to oz later in the year and have read that airlines wont allow shocks with nitrogen in them.i have a fox rp23 and don,t know if this applies ,if it does then surely no one would take a full susser abroad or am i missing something??

what makes you think your shock is filled with nitrogen?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    baccodaddy wrote:
    don,t mean to be ignorant but could you explain the basis behind your answer its an expensive trip for a marathon and i,m worried it could all go up in smoke,i,ll be flying with emirates if that helps.

cargo hold is pressurised.

and see above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

cargo hold is pressurised.

Good point. A quick google revealed it is pressurised to 8000ft (e.g. 10psi). So only 4 psi difference - even less problem.
  • what made me think this was mojo website saying that all shocks will be re-gassed with nitrogen and emirates saying they wont carry pressurised shocks with nitrogen.thanks to all you guys for input its really helped now i just got to get to the start line and fly the flag ,(they can,t be that that fast ,there genetics are criminal which means there all on crack!!!!)
  • Considering air is 78% nitrogen, how the hell with Emirates know what you've got it pressurised with ? I can't imagine they have some kind of gas detection equipment.

Just leave it alone !
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have a rp23 on my santa cruz.. i been to whistler 4 times in the last 2 years,
    i always left the rp23 on the bike it been fine,,, if your bothered just let 10-15 psi out of the shock, and reinflate it when you reach your destination....
  • while we are on the top, how do you guys carry full face helmets? did you put them in your hand luggage? or suit case? im flying to genva with easyjet i was guna use my camelbak as hand luggage tho :/
  • as said above the cargo hold is pressureied otherwise it would put the aircraft under massive strain due to the top having pressure and the bottom not.
    nitrogen is also an inert gas hence why used in aircraft hydraulics and tyres so no problem taking that with you.
    you wouldnt get ur shock on board if it was in you hand luggage since its a large blunt object of pressurissed gas.
    just leave it on your bike i wouldnt even bother adjusting the pressure its one less job to do when u get there
  • kingcraig
    kingcraig Posts: 16
    delcol wrote:
    i pack my ff helmet in my case well holdall bag,, surrounded by clothes..

cheers, i was thinking of using either my camelbak hawg or mule as my hand luggage do you think that'll be too big??
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    cheers, i was thinking of using either my camelbak hawg or mule as my hand luggage do you think that'll be too big??

Should be fine to take as hand luggage, just make sure your hydration bladder is bone dry
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Should be fine, though the airline will give hand luggage dimensions.

It's smaller than the 'take on' cases isn't it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    will be fine.. like mentioned be sure there is no liquid in it..

depending on the airline they might not let you take the helmet in the cabin..

there was a lad in the que infront of us at vancouver airport in september he had his tld helmet on his backpack, they made him remove it and check it...

i put my xc lid and my the ff in my holdall. i had my brothers ff helmet in my bike bag..