Tour of Oman Commentator ??

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Who was the "Voice of Thunder" on the mic ??? - sounded like he had a mouse stuck in his throat "squeak squeak" - come back Russell Williams all is forgiven in his one and only laughable commentary of the amstel some years back . Someone should tell this guy to dont give up the day job.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Matt Rendell.

Awful voice.

Excellent writer.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Check out "real peloton" on itunes as well - him and Ned Boulting discussing the issues. I like him - there is a fair bit of passion there and I think cycling commentary is nigh on possible - it is basically cricket/golf commentary with a horse racing commentary finish at the end. Oh - and it appears on RP#8 that he reads the forums - so be gentle to him!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Never heard him commentate, but +1 on excellent writer.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mroli wrote:
    Oh - and it appears on RP#8 that he reads the forums - so be gentle to him!

+1 on the RP.

Mind you, having a google alert on your name is a bit like touching yourself in front of the mirror, isn't it? :wink: But don't worry Matt, you're still the man.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Worst. Commentator. Ever, Didn't watch after the first few minutes. Was the worst sports coverage I have ever seen.

He's a good writer but as far as commentating goes, he's still got a long way to go.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    He's very vanilla and lacks a warmth that maybe you need in commentary. But I think he's OK, just very different to pretty much everyone else that commentates. I enjoyed the understated calmness.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    iainf72 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Oh - and it appears on RP#8 that he reads the forums - so be gentle to him!

+1 on the RP.

I'm sure Matt and Ned were inspired by their admiration for Pierre and Bobby to start the Real Peloton podcasts.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Who was the "Voice of Thunder" on the mic ??? - sounded like he had a mouse stuck in his throat "squeak squeak" - come back Russell Williams all is forgiven in his one and only laughable commentary of the amstel some years back . Someone should tell this guy to dont give up the day job.

I enjoyed his book. You should offer to commentate so we can hear what you have to say Mr gazzeta69
  • It seems no cycling commentator can please everyone. I think David Harmon and Sean Kelly are excellent but they still get their critics. I've read a few of Matt's books and they're pretty good. I think he's new to commentating so give him a chance to find his feet.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • It wasn't awful, a bit muddled at times I remember. More annoying was the ten minutes of tourist prop each stage; a bit odd to present it all in one block. Commentary may have been better with a partner - Brian Smith gets my vote.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    What a load of whingers!

Whoever the commentator at least we got a new race to watch didn't we? I expect the tour bit was because the race was set up to help boost tourism in the country. Looked a lot more interesting than Qatar.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman