Wrynose or bust

Variance
Variance Posts: 130
Hi all,

Is anyone planning on doing this?

There are 2 routes, a 112 hiilfest including Wyrose pass and a 30% climb up grizebeck and a more sedate 60 mile ride round Morecambe bay.

The route starts and finishes in Lancaster, close to J34 of the M6 so should be easy to get to.

I think I'm gonna go for the "safe" 60 mile route myself!

Paul

www.wrynose.org

Comments

• om nom nom

I don't think I can do it that weekend but damn it looks good.
  • ought to look good aat £30! :shock:
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I fancied it but was put off with back tracking back down the same roads to barracks on the return leg. Can any one tell me what this section off road is like. I am familiar with the roads around Morcambe Bay and the Lake District itself.

Could not get a profile of all the climbs either from the website - not a dig but usually its own most sportive sites.
    Brian B.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Signed up for the 112 with a work colleague, and another three guys I ride with are taking the 60 route.

How hard is the wrynose part out of interest, or is the grizebeck part worse?
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I may do this ride as training for the FWC.
    The climbs are not so bad in the direction this route takes; Wrynose from this side is ok but the worst bit is going down! Make sure your brakes are in good order.
  • Variance
    Variance Posts: 130
    Brian B wrote:
    I fancied it but was put off with back tracking back down the same roads to barracks on the return leg. Can any one tell me what this section off road is like. I am familiar with the roads around Morcambe Bay and the Lake District itself.

Could not get a profile of all the climbs either from the website - not a dig but usually its own most sportive sites.

The roads to and from the barracks are mainly B roads, with a bit of A road throught Milnthorpe. Not many hills at all on this part of the route either
  • Radioactiveman
    Radioactiveman Posts: 964
    edited March 2010
    Thinking of doing this myself but the 60 is not challenging enough,but I have never done more than a ton before. Wrynose could be a pig as well 1 in 3 in places with nasty corners and potholes. Is the climb up the steeper of the 2 sides?

Quite a bit on the A595, from what I can remember its a pretty fast and nasty road. Probably going to ride it before hand as too halves,dont want to pay my £30 without seeing if its achievable to get fit for in less than 5 weeks

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Is the climb up the steeper of the 2 sides?
    No, but its still steep!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Looking at the route the bit on the A595 is on the old unused section of the road so should be traffic free. The climb up Wrynose is from West to East so this is the 'easy' side.