Evans Above!

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited February 2010 in MTB general
In all my years biking I have never been into an Evans store. I visited Evans in Nottingham at the weekend and was very impressed.

I wasnt expecting the range of bikes they held, some lovely Genesis builds and I was very tempted by a Rocky Mountain vertex 50. They kindly let me take it out for a spin round the block but sadly it was a little on the small side. Thank god for that otherwise I would have been £1600 down :lol:

A very helpful bunch and it's made me look at Evans in a different light.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I spend a great deal of time in Evans as they are my LBS and the warehouse is just round the corner from me so stock is never an issue, if it's in the catalouge then i can get it same day, most of the staff are helpful and knowledgable only down side is the pricing with everything being at full RRP and with clothing lines tending to just concentrate on the top end brands. Over the years though i've had good service from them.
  • scale20
    I couldn't believe that they were quite happy to let you take any of the bikes instore out for a spin, most bike shops wouldnt entertain that.

I remember I went to Cannock and wanted to try a genesis singlespeed, infact I had more or less bought it but they refused to let me throw my leg over it and go round the car park, said it would no longer be new if I did. :?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Noclue wrote:
    I spend a great deal of time in Evans as they are my LBS and the warehouse is just round the corner from me so stock is never an issue, if it's in the catalouge then i can get it same day, most of the staff are helpful and knowledgable only down side is the pricing with everything being at full RRP and with clothing lines tending to just concentrate on the top end brands. Over the years though i've had good service from them.

Evans have a price promise. Just print off the best price you can find online, and if it's in stock they'll match it. I got some Shimano DX SPD's for £44 instead of £60!

Mike
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    evans haven't got as much components as crc but they have much more bikes. when i go to chill factore for skiing in manchester and evanscycles is right next to it so i always go in for a wander round. they have one of those baskets full of bits and bobs for next to nothing prices
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    scale20 wrote:
    I couldn't believe that they were quite happy to let you take any of the bikes instore out for a spin, most bike shops wouldnt entertain that.

I'd never buy a bike from a shop that didn't let me take it for a decent ride. Bike fit is like shoe fit. There's no way to know if it right for you just by looking at all the shiny bits and it is the big advantage a proper shop has over the web.

Evans let me try half a dozen different bikes and even ordered some in for me to try before I bought my commuter.
  • I got my scale from them an excellent store love it.
    So Far!
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    evans will for a £50 deposit order a bike in from thier catalogue let you try it if it dont fit you get your deposit back
  • Nice well stocked stores and helpful staff but they are on the pricy side
  • UncleMonty wrote:
    Nice well stocked stores and helpful staff but they are on the pricy side

Agree...I was happy on Friday as they gave me a nice discount on an ex-display Helmet hero...only problem was a small rip on the cardboard and I got 20quid off.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Yep - I got my Gary Fisher from Evans. They let me take it for a spin (after giving me a helmet and making me sign a waiver :D )

As well as the sales assistant, the mechanic came out too and got the saddle set up right for me. Both were friendly and knowledgeable. I was wearing my Ironman t-shirt and it turned out the assistant was a triathlete too so we had a good old blether about swim times and disk wheels and all that tri nonsense.

Was very impressed and got a good price on the Gary Fisher 'cos it was in their web sale. They shipped it from their warehouse to the store so I could try it out even before I made a commitment to buy.

I'll deffo use them again.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    evans will for a £50 deposit order a bike in from thier catalogue let you try it if it dont fit you get your deposit back

I got a test ride for 1p just so they had my credit card details on their system!
    I often get them to match prices and the guys never complain about it as they would rather have your money than let you spend it elsewhere at the end of the day.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I've found them very very helpful every time i've been in there.
  • Evans Rule when it comes to end of year clearance sales. I just got £1400 off the price of an out-of-the box new 2009 Lapierre DH 920 (the bling bling polished one). That's some serious reduction! :shock:

Think my local shop might have dropped £100 if i'd let them poke me with rusty seat posts!

You are young... But you will learn...
  • Macster1
    Macster1 Posts: 122
    Yep, my local is Evans at West Croydon, all great guys and very helpful

They may be dear but are always happy to price match

:D
    Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D
  • scale20
    Just wish there was an Evans closer to us in North Wales, Off the top of my head I think the closest is Manchester.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.