My pimped Viner Gladius

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited October 2014 in Your road bikes
My Viner Gladius Ltd Edn, courtesy of the ever wonderful Halfords! Size large, flies up the hills and nice and comfy over distance.

3866214896_e15f21c733_b.jpg

Frame: Viner Gladius Carbon Monocoque
Forks: Carbon Monocoque 1-1/8"
Bars: Easton EC90 Carbon Anatomic
Stem: Zero Racing aluminium superlight
Bar Tape: Prorace Eleganza

Front Brake Lever: Centaur 09 Carbon
Front Caliper: Record / Koolstop dual compound
Rear Brake Lever: Centaur 09 Carbon
Rear Caliper: Record / Koolstop dual compound

Shifters: Centaur
Cables: Campagnolo
Front Mech: Centaur
Rear Mech: Centaur Carbon

Seat: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seat Post: Zero Racing Carbon
Seat Post Clamp: Viner

Cranks: Miche Race
Chainring(s): Miche (Compact)
Chain: Record
Cassette: Record 11/23.
Pedals: Look Keo Sprint

Front Wheel: Xero Lite XR1 (16 spoke)
Tyre: Continental GP4000

Back Wheel: Xero Lite XR1 (20 spoke)
Tyre: Continental GP4000
Weight: 16lb all in (includes bottle cage and pedals)

Comments

• bigmat
    Bump!

Now with FSA SL-K carbon crankset. Don't all rush to comment at once! :wink:

4375746868_52c7fa34e2_b.jpg
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I think I prefer your old chainset looks wise, sorry.
    But your tapes looking dirtier since your last post, good work.
    I found the Eleganza awful to put on my bars, you look like you've made a far better job than I.
    Not mad for the marbled carbon type finish, even though there's a bit on my focus.
    Sorry your only comment (so far) hasn't been exactly positive.
    I know it's depressing when you post your pride and joy and then nobody even comments - see my Focus Cayo Campag - there is life beyond Ti, Trek, Scott, Spesh and Bianchi.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • I like it, frame look s quite similar in geomety to my Cinelli Willin. How does it ride? Mmm exposed carbon :P
  • bigmat
    @ Galatzo - the old chainset is on my other bike now, putting looks to one side the new one is a bit lighter, definitely stiffer and seems to shift better.

@ Kingtut - frame rides beautifully, comfy over distance and goes well on the climbs. Managed to shave a fair bit of time off any route I've been able to compare with my old alu frame (RP 3 laps, Box Hill, Dragon Ride etc.)
  • how much btw just curious? I have a focus as well Galatzo slitghtly lower version than yours mate i have the Culebro but i love it to bits!!
    your cayo looks good mate btw
    G.H.Allum
  • bigmat
    Speed_King wrote:
    how much btw just curious? I have a focus as well Galatzo slitghtly lower version than yours mate i have the Culebro but i love it to bits!!
    your cayo looks good mate btw

Posted this on another thread:
    MatHammond wrote:
    I've just worked out the net cost of my road bike - around £890, so well under £1,500. May need to start a "best value build under a grand" thread. Basically, I got a Viner Gladius on cycle to work (ends up costing me around £650), sold a few bits, replaced with bits off ebay / sourced at bargain rates / switched over from old bike.

Add in the cost of the crankset (£65) and it comes in at £955.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Were the dimensions of this Viner custom?

If so was the compact geometry chosen, or given?

I think most people here fancy a Viner, especially people who ride 5 year old entry level budget racers.
  • bigmat
    The Gladius isn't a custom frame, its made in Taiwan (unlike more expensive Viners that are made to measure in Italy). It is very nicely finished though.
  • The Gladius was a Ltd Edition frameset/bike to compete at the £1K C2W pricepoint, when purchased with Miche kit. Full carbon Centaur upped the price somewhat, although Viner did a nice custom build selection.

I have one with Centaur carbon gruppo and use a mixture of Miche 707 Race's (heavy) Campag Scirroco and Racing 3 wheels. It is a super compact sloping frame which is shipped to Viner from Taiwan for finishing, it is not naked carbon that is a weave put on top of the carbon for aesthetic reasons (AFAIK) in Italy by Viner. The quality of the finish is really top notch. You don't see many about and it is Italian! The same frameset was used by Magnus Backstedt's pro team last year so not too shabby really.

Cracking reviews on this site from C+ test in 08 and 09. I rate it highly and it is my Winter and training and commuting bike. It is no BMC/Colnago in terms of ride quality but is deceptively fast always surprised when I look at the speedo....

BTW Where have your decals gone from the fork legs? Odd.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Flanners1 wrote:
    BTW Where have your decals gone from the fork legs? Odd.

More than odd! Viner missing an opportunity to stick at least four name checks on a piece of bare carbon is like the twilight zone :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    Ha ha I know what you mean about the less than subtle decals. I switched the fork for a carbon monocoque I had put on my old bike which was less than half the weight of the Viner one, carbon weave is a perfect match and I think I prefer the overall look with slightly less graphics going on.

Keep meaning to put the Viner fork on my winter bike but haven't got round to it yet, it'll almost certainly go back on the Viner frame if I ever sell it.
  • bigmat
    [img]<iframe%20src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/41991871@N08/15072750836/player/&quot; width=&quot;75&quot; height=&quot;75&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;[/img]

Latest iteration of the Viner - back to black for bars / saddle to counteract the not so subtle wheels. Looks fast though, will hopefully give the new wheels a run out over the weekend!
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Looks better with those wheels, just pressed my Gladius into service again now the annual rain and mud has started. Did a 50 miler with some muddy Bridleways (cycle route 21) and it was great to ride again, a really comfortable fast bike.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er