Merlin Cycles

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Just a quick bit of praise for merlincycles.co.uk

Ordered a SRAM PG990 cassette and PC991 chain for £58 delivered. It came the next day.

Brilliant stuff.

Comments

• Ordered forks from Merlin and tyres from Wiggle on Monday.. both turned up yesterday..

Can't fault that really!
  • cgarossi
    The only niggle with Merlin is that their site doesn't say if they have the product in stock or not. So a bit of a gamble.

I've got my mouse hovering over some Avid Elixir R brakes but it doesnt say if they are in stock.
  • Ring and ask them.. it'll only take 30 seconds to be sure..
  • cgarossi
    True.

Kind of defeats the point of the intarwebz though.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Always had good service from Merlin, I also print out the page from the site and go and upset Evans with the price match policy they have :)
  • cgarossi
    Always found Evans to be expensive to be honest.

Wiggle or Merlin for me. The cassette and chain was non-retail, that is, there was no box or nice packaging. It was just stuffed in a bag and posted. Which is fine by me.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Had 1 really bad experience with Merlin, never used them since. I used to be a big supporter of Wiggle but found that their prices are nowhere near as competative as they used to be, even the smaller online retailers are beating them on price.

I had a ist of about 6 items I wanted from wiggle recently and out of that 6, 5 items were not in stock. Cant fault the service when it does all come together though.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    cgarossi wrote:
    The only niggle with Merlin is that their site doesn't say if they have the product in stock or not. So a bit of a gamble

err yes it does! there is a green circle with a tick inside under the "stock" column. If something is out of stock this is replaced by a red circle with a x

The avid elixir R brakes are currently in stock in both options.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Any time I have a query with Merlin I've always called or e-mailed. Had my e-mails responded to within a few hours usually. Always found the guys very helpful!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • cgarossi
    if its out of stock it wont let you out it in your basket ;)
  • cgarossi
    Well you learn something every day. Me not paying attention as usual lol.
  • solsurf wrote:
    Always had good service from Merlin, I also print out the page from the site and go and upset Evans with the price match policy they have :)

Evans match instore an online retailer?
  • Yep they're always my 1st site to check if looking for new shiny stuff. Stock choice isn't as big as say Wiggle but always top notch service with cheap prices, email replies etc.
    Approach every problem in life like a dog - if you can't eat it or hump it, p**s on it and walk away...
    Trek EX8 2011
    Trek 6300
    Trek 1.2
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Yes evans stores match online prices. It's on their website policy section
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • nonnac85 wrote:

Have to remember that one.

Do you think they'll accept it if you show them a web page on your phone?
  • nonnac85 wrote:

That's pretty good.. our local Hargroves store won't even match their own online prices!
  • nonnac85 wrote:

Have to remember that one.

Do you think they'll accept it if you show them a web page on your phone?

if its a live internet feed then yes
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • delcol wrote:
    merlin does say if it's in stock,, a green tick or red x deos on my computer...

Same here!!!

I only use Merlin or CRC, Wiggle never comes close, by LBS always beats Wiggle

But I'll always try use Merlin, because if you do ever have problems they're always on the phone.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    nonnac85 wrote:

Ok, so if i go into Evans tomorrow and say i want the RS SID Race forks for £350 (or whatever price merlin are selling them for), Evans will match it!?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    They may point out that the Merlin one is an OEM model (dunno if it is, but lots of their stuff is), and therefore not equivalent.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Ah, right! i.e. they've bought a job lot of them and are selling them cheap.
  • alfablue
    Well they buy lots in for their bike builds. OEM means many things, they are not likely to be in retail packaging, they may have shorter steerers, they may have different materials, design or function to the retail versions. Sometimes they will be identical, other times, not. However, that's assuming the Merlin ones are OEM, I haven't looked, but a lot of their stuff is (this is fine, but the price should be less than for retail versions).
  • alfablue
    (Evans may be blissfully unaware of the OEM issue, if there is one, however).
  • alfablue wrote:
    Well they buy lots in for their bike builds. OEM means many things, they are not likely to be in retail packaging, they may have shorter steerers, they may have different materials, design or function to the retail versions. Sometimes they will be identical, other times, not. However, that's assuming the Merlin ones are OEM, I haven't looked, but a lot of their stuff is (this is fine, but the price should be less than for retail versions).

Ive been looking for a fork upgrade and wondered how merlin could sell the forks i want for so much less than anyone else. You explanation would seem to clear things up a little! Although, as others have mentioned, a phone call doesnt take long and i may well be surprised!

I wonder if it says anything on thier site about oem, if not its kinda naughty! Im gonna go check!
  • alfablue wrote:

Ive been looking for a fork upgrade and wondered how merlin could sell the forks i want for so much less than anyone else. You explanation would seem to clear things up a little! Although, as others have mentioned, a phone call doesnt take long and i may well be surprised!

I wonder if it says anything on thier site about oem, if not its kinda naughty! Im gonna go check!
  • alfablue wrote:

• cgarossi
    A lot of OEM stuff IS exactly the same as retail. Forks and shocks may not be.

Example, the Fox RP2 shock is OEM and tuned for the manufacturer of the bike. The RP23 is the retail varient.

As far as I know anyway.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I got the wheels and brakes for my SS from Merlin and more recently wheels, brakes and forks for Mrs B's Birthday Blizzard. All good so far.

For the Blizzard the frame came from Wiggle (half price in the right size, can't ask for more) and select bits from Merlin (as said), Barracuda (dudes local to me) and CRC. the internet has made me a real little bargain nazi but I probably still ended up missing some deals. DAMN THEM :lol:

All delivered quickly .... except the local guys, who are only 40km away but they had it out the door fast enough (<24hr) it's the local delivery that was the problem.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • I emailed them earlier and got a super swift response. They do get bulk purchase forks for some of their deals ( whatever that means ) but the forks i enquired about are boxed and brand new. So i think ill give em a try!