Who's a lucky boy then!

orangepeel
orangepeel Posts: 22
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys

First time post by someone who is returning to MTB after 15 years. I started to look round for something second hand on ebay (very skint) for something that will start me back into this lark again but then got a message from a mate saying I could have his 01/02 Marin B17! And no, this wasn't the year they were recalled.

Although it's got a few years behind it, it's not been used for going on 5-6 years as my mate moved out to the States so it's just sitting in his mum's garage (as far as he knows, he has to check his sis hasn't sold it!). I wasn't planning on a full sus but if all it's going to cost me is a few bits and a service, who am i to complain!

What I would like to know is

1. Anyone else owned B17 of that era? Wadda you think?
2. Where i should start the checks - with it being a few years old and sitting round idle? (I know about the issues with the rear swing arm, so will have that checked of course.)
3. Any good value upgrades I should consider?
4. How adjustable is the rear sus' if I find it a bit bouncy?
5.Any other advice!

Thanks all, it's good to be back!

OP.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just give it a once over a general service, looking for play in any bearings and bushings.

Ride it then think about upgrades. Possibly a better air shock would pay dividends, and forks.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Just give it a once over a general service, looking for play in any bearings and bushings.

Ride it then think about upgrades. Possibly a better air shock would pay dividends, and forks.

Cool, thanks.
    R.e. the air shock, where's a good place to start looking for one/what type? Sorry if that seems a basic question but I don't have any experience of full sus bikes so it's new territory for me.