Snowdon Mountain...questions, possible ride up(eek)

phoebian
phoebian Posts: 497
edited February 2010 in MTB rides
Basically I've always want to go there, I have some time off coming up and my parents want to go up it again also since the last time they went up was in the 70's!. And as such I thought why the hell not ride up it????? (Catching the train is cheating!!!)Fitness shouldn't be a problem, but don't really want to go up it alone!!
The date isn't decided yet but it will be between the 6th -10th April. My parents will be going in their car and I was going to jump in with them, but I have my own car as well if anyone wants to go.

If anyone's been up and down it before, some general info would be great on how long it took, what the terrains like, etc etc...

Will bump this a couple of times until the end of March and if there isn't any interest, looks like I will be walking up it!

Simon.
(I'm loling at myself thinking I can do this..)

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I went up there about 10 years ago with my sons, took the Snowdon Ranger path, about 50% rideable on the way up, 70% on the way down (the last 1/4 near the summit is very loose rock). The Llanberis path would be a better bet I think. There is a voluntary agreement to only ride before 10.00am and personally, I would try and respect this, as there are masses of walkers.
  • phoebian
    I read something about that.
    It has been agreed that between the hours of 10.00 am and 5 pm from 1st May to 30th September cyclists should not cycle on the Snowdon bridleways shown on the map below.
    Has this be extended into April or do riders tend to make it an all year type of thing?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Oh, sorry, don't know, but I guess it is likely still May to Sept.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    NO! NO! NO!!!!!!!!
    Not at the moment, covered in snow ice.
    I see it everyday, but it's absolutely covered. YOU WILL DIE!!
    Ok, bit strong, but get seriously injured and get the Air Ambulance out to get you...
    Last year we had snow on top til May.

Cafe shut and train not running for a while.
    You'll do better at the Marin, Coed Y Brenin, Penmachno...
  • phoebian
    Yeah, thought I might be walking up it lol :) Will save it for another time!
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    Shame about the snow, would be an epic!
  • phoebian
    lol, decided to walk up it in April :) still taking my bike though. Coed y Brenin is only round the corner!
  • Splottboy
    Coed Y Brenin is over 30 miles "round the corner" !
    Beddgelert Forest is closer, but mostly fire roads, not much single track, but some if you look.

Marin, Penmachno are closer though, but could be snowbound, as more coming tonite.

Newborough Forest, S.W.Anglesey, is about 40mins drive away. Flatish, but...best single track. Free parking at the first r/bout before N'boro, or at Malltraeth woods, near the bird hides.
  • phoebian
    I'm going with my parents and Coed y Brenin is where they want to go after Snowdon lol, they will be walking though, so my bike is coming!
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I've done Snowdon a couple of times. Once back in 87/88 went up railway then down the zig zags to the lakey thing and then on to pen-y-pass youth hostel (spelling?) dead good fun doing the downhill section though it has been sanitised since then with steps.

The next was a couple of years later just when people were getting suspension and then we went up and down the railway, again another good decent.

I'd recommend the effort you need to put as the decents whichever you choose are superb
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • delaxm
    delaxm Posts: 180
    We did it in Oct, 70% rideable up the Llanberis path & 90% rideable down the rangers - took about 3 hours up (including stops for food & pictures)
  • Splottboy
    Had a few feet of the white stuff since then, and just been to Clynnog Fawr, which is only about 500ft, and they had a blizzard earlier. Lane sides all snow under.
    Still deep road side snow all along the Llyn Peninsular on Sunday.

More heavey snow forecast for the next few days, Sth, Mid and North Wales.
  • dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    Hi,

If its April youre going then the snow could well have cleared before then. I'd go up and down the Llanberis path, or go down the snowdon ranger 2/3 of the way and then the telegraph valley back to Llanberis. A little bit of effort on the up as it's not all rideable but the downhills are superb.