Rollers vs Turbo Trainer

100%
100% Posts: 236
Hi,

I'm looking at pruchasing either some rollers or a turbo trainer, but am slightly unsure which I'd be better off with.
I currently don't own either, but having had an extended loan of a turbo in the past, I am currently leaning towards rollers. They seem a little more dynamic, and one of my goals is to try and improve my pedalling technique, which rollers would seem to encourage. Obviously one of the disadvantages of the rollers is one-legged drills wouldn't be possible.

In terms of rollers, I like the idea of getting a set with a resistance unit but obviously they are quite expensive - might it be worth getting a cheap second hand set to see how I get on first?

Any advice and opinions greatfully received.

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• 100% wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking at pruchasing either some rollers or a turbo trainer, but am slightly unsure which I'd be better off with.
    I currently don't own either, but having had an extended loan of a turbo in the past, I am currently leaning towards rollers. They seem a little more dynamic, and one of my goals is to try and improve my pedalling technique, which rollers would seem to encourage. Obviously one of the disadvantages of the rollers is one-legged drills wouldn't be possible.

In terms of rollers, I like the idea of getting a set with a resistance unit but obviously they are quite expensive - might it be worth getting a cheap second hand set to see how I get on first?

Any advice and opinions greatfully received.

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi there.

Rollers with resistance give you the best of both worlds - and one legged drills are possible, with a bit of practice.

Cheers, Andy
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I find one legged drills much more worthwhile on my rollers than my turbo.

On the turbo you can rock and roll about without any fear of falling off, which can easily lead you to bad form withour realising it, which is very much not what you are doing one legged drills for.

On rollers they are easy enough (once you have become proficient on them), and expose the pedal technique issues that you are aiming to correct.

I have rollers with resistance unit, and use them quite a bit, but there's very little I can do on rollers that I can't do on my turbo, but there are important things (to me at least) that are much more difficult to do on rollers as opposed to a turbo. For example, short high intensity intervals, which can be hard due to the required concentration to stay on the rollers when right on the limit.

For me the rollers are a welcome addition, but I would most miss my turbo if I had to lose one or the other.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • 100%
    Thanks for the replies. I think realistically I can only get one or the other, and it seems to me that the rollers will force more concentration etc.

My real cycling passion is cyclo-cross, so any training that helps balance has got to help!

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    huge thread on this if you search - quite recent
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Got both
    Pedalling technique - rollers win hands down and great for balance and a more involved ride.
    Not got resistance ones but a decent work out in a high gear
    Turbo better for more intensive sessions
    For cross training I'd go with the turbo
  • 100%
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies - had a look at the other threads too. It sounds like even with resistance, rollers don't give you that much resistance (i.e. probably couldn't simulate a tough climb) although obviously you can get a good workout off them and they definitely seem good for pedaling technique.

Given the prices, it looks like I can get a basic set of rollers and a reasonable turbo with adjustable resistance for the same amount as a decent set of rollers with a magnetic brake, so I think that's what I'll do Maybe those people saying get both weren't being so excessive after all!!

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    100% wrote:
    ...It sounds like even with resistance, rollers don't give you that much resistance (i.e. probably couldn't simulate a tough climb) ...
    Not true - try some first before reaching a conclusion like that because I can guarantee you burning quads in a couple of minutes on either of my rollers with resistance.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    go outside,breathe the air feel the wind on your face
    going downhill slowly