what do you call a hack ?

lancj1
lancj1 Posts: 38
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Mine is my old Raleigh Jackal from 1995, with all the original bits apart from cheap slick tyres ang chunky rubber grips and brake blocks.

Its the one I nip to the shops on these days, but was in weekly use til about 4 years ago,for general plodding around
Btwin Triban 3
Giant Boulder '08
Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    As with the definition of a "Hackney" horse it's a no frills bike built for general use with reliability in mind rather than flare. It is genuinely the one you "nip to the shops on".

For me it's a ten year old, poorly maintained, road grime laden Dawes hybrid.

Bob
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    1996 Giant Terrago fully rigid with V brakes. Actually not a bad bike, probably a lot better than a lot of Hlafords specials but less likely to appeal to your average bike thief cos it doesn't have pogo suspension or cable discs.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    ancient steel apollo. 5 speed at rear (3 working), canti brakes, play in most of the bearings but just wont die!

i've left it unchained outside a pub for 2 days and its not been nicked!
  • Ancient ratty Ridgeback I inherited from a friend who moved away...does the trick for scootinga round town and isn't desriable to the thieving neds (Glasgow equivalent of chavs)

Works fine apart from a slipping front ring which I can live with...nothing a wee service wont fix. has a pannier set on it and until she grew out of it, my kid's bike seat

A trusty relaible steed if ever there was one
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • My 98 bobcat:

Cheap reliable, but still half decent.
    All parts are original and in full working order despite being over 10years old! (apart from consumables -brake pads, tyres, grips etc.). Also it's aluminum so no rust issues but looks suitably sh1t and old so hopefully thieves will look elsewhere.

Oh, and the saddle's one of those 90's big soft foam jobs so really comfortable for the commute!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    One of the older On-one inbreds, on-one rigid forks, single speed and has just been upgraded to disk brakes :D It's what I commute on every where.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Commuter is a 2006 Diamondback M40 with Schwalbe 2.35 Big Apple semi-slicks, eXotic rigid carbon forks. Magua HS66 brakes, WTB Rocket V saddle and ODI lock on grips.
    It also has a bottle cage, Crudcatcher and a bell!
    The entire package cost me under £300 and I use it commute distances that don't justify driving and also to do cycleway and recreational road rides
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My commuter 'bike' is a hack. It's a 'mountain bike' from the 90s - no one would ever ride it anywhere near a mountain.

It cost me 30 notes (it was brand new from a mate who had it in storage for 10 years). I can't recall what brand of bike it is - I just ride it. I am also starting to forget what colour the frame was due to dirt and the the gunk/grinding paste all over the chain is so smooth now I reckon it must act as a lube. :?

Gets me to work every time - it is covered in generic Shimano parts (no names on any of it) and it just seems to keep on going.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    My 98 bobcat:

Cheap reliable, but still half decent.
    All parts are original and in full working order despite being over 10years old! (apart from consumables -brake pads, tyres, grips etc.). Also it's aluminum so no rust issues but looks suitably sh1t and old so hopefully thieves will look elsewhere.

Oh, and the saddle's one of those 90's big soft foam jobs so really comfortable for the commute!

Hey, mac - my bobcat trail (99 I think) is goign to be my hack! Does yours have the lime green stem? Its been a great bike, but currently out of action until I replace the bearings in the back wheel and sort out the freehub which intermiitently loses drive in cold weather(guess water has got in). Still mostly original other than the usual stuff. The forks are dead though, thinking baout replacing them with rigid sometime soon, maybe, and it needs a new chainset, so maybe go for a new ring only and try SS.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Smiler15
    Smiler15 Posts: 129
    17" apollo creed!! Legendary
  • myopic wrote:
    Hey, mac - my bobcat trail (99 I think) is goign to be my hack! Does yours have the lime green stem? Its been a great bike, but currently out of action until I replace the bearings in the back wheel and sort out the freehub which intermiitently loses drive in cold weather(guess water has got in). Still mostly original other than the usual stuff. The forks are dead though, thinking baout replacing them with rigid sometime soon, maybe, and it needs a new chainset, so maybe go for a new ring only and try SS.

Mine has the silver frame and bright yellow forks:
    bikebus1.jpg
    I think my hubs may need a service soon, I've got a feeling it's all going to die at the same time as it's been without a proper service for 10 years (it sat in the garage for 8 of those before I inherited it.)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    My hack bike (aka Beer Scooter) is a early 1980's Falcon road bike with flat bars & 27" wheels:

3357832647_a6dc233a6f_o.jpg
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg