Adjusting Gripshift Max? It's too stiff to move.

EdgarTP
EdgarTP Posts: 3
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello!

Complete biking novice here.

My daughter was given an Apollo xc.26 bike for Christmas and she's been having great fun riding on the common. However, she's 9 and she's finding the Gripshift Max gear changer really difficult to turn. Is there some way I can adjust the tension to make it easier for her to move?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I ran a search but couldn't find anything.

(By the way, to accompany her on the common I investigated buying a bike for myself. I was about to buy a £200 Rockrider 5.2 from Decathlon but, after a bit of research (on here amongst other places) I picked a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper recently serviced and in great condition for £100 on ebay - am really pleased with it)

Thanks for any help with the gear problem.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    make sure the cables are lubed and clean.

that is it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the reply.

Oh dear - there's no mechanical way to loosen them up? I'm pretty sure the cables are clean as it's only been ridden 3 times or so. I'll check the lubrication though. I presume WD-40 will be ok for this job.

Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well WD 40 is not a lube but is better than nothing.

also lube the pivots of the mechs. you can use a chain lube for this.

PS adjusting the tension will just make the gears all wrong.as it would effect the position of the mech relative to the cogs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown