Music on your homemade MTB videos

MacAndCheese
MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Just put together my first homemade vid and got a bit stuck when choosing music...turns out it's bloody hard to get something that sounds right.

Anyway I was just wondering what music people chose, does anyone use there own music? because technically you're unlikely to have copyright on any CD you own?
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Orange Alpine 160

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    been a film and media student, i made an mtb film for my coursework, and i found the music the easiest, i find finding the right shots pretty hard, tbh ill here a song on the radio and think yer that would sound ace in a film, but i guess its down to what people prefer
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    I don't make my own videos so can't comment from that perspective, but when watching videos then it depends on the quality of the sound from the recording. I'd rather music was dubbed over than to just hear the distorted sound of the wind whistling into a rubbish mic.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd wish people didn't put music on. As soon as I hear a poor track (especially that thrash metal bollocks that people seem to like putting on biking videos) then I quickly press the X.
  • I dont bother. Partly because I prefer vids without crap music, partly because youtube are Copyright Nazis and delete it anyway, and partly because I just cba.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I always do, but I try and use kind of unexpected music. The usual nu-metal, rap and punk bores me so I go for 60s classics, folk music, children's TV themes, sometimes orchestral (I've had a lot of mileage out of the Final Fantasy soundtrack). Good music makes or breaks a video I reckon... And folk and classics really work well I think.

Here's one I made earlier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqH_8ljnmkc

And these days, I upload to Vimeo rather than deal with Youtube's terminally broken copyright system.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've always fancied doing a video at x4 speed with the Benny Hill theme music playing in the background.

I just need to find someone to ride behind me wearing a Gorilla suit :lol:
  • If it's any kind of metal / thrash metal then I have to turn the sound off
  • UncleMonty wrote:
    If it's any kind of metal / thrash metal then I have to turn the sound off

I generally agree, but I tried a few lighter tracks and it just looked/sounded wrong....in the end went for Them Crooked Vultures...more heavy-rock than metal and I like it! I'd like to do one with a classical orchestral score (something fast paced - though)at some point for a laugh.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • If it's any kind of metal / thrash metal then I have to turn the sound off
  • I'm with you lawman on this sort of thing. I often hear songs I like and then think of video footage that would look good with it and vice-a-versa.

I did a degree in music tech and now work as a music and media tech in a school so I work with video and music all day, I don't think film would be half as good without music.

I think that Danny Mcaskill Vid with the 'Band of Horses' track playing is excellent partly down to the choice of music!

J
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!