Ruta del Sol stage 2 (ie Cav's first sprint)

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited February 2010 in Pro race
1. Oscar Freire (Rabobank) 4:53:06
2. Robert Wagner (Skil-Shimano) m.t.
3. Alex Rasmussen (Saxo Bank) m.t.
4. Mark Cavendish (Columbia-HTC) m.t.
5. Francisco Ventoso (Andalucía-CajaSur) m.t.
6. Marco Marcato (Vacansoleil) m.t.
7. Greg Henderson (Sky) m.t.
8. Paul Martens (Rabobank) m.t.
9. Jens Voigt (Saxo Bank) m.t.
10. Fabian Wegmann (Milram) m.t.
11. Borut Bozic (Vacansoeleil) m.t.
12. Mirko Lorenzetto (Lampre) m.t.
13. Bartlomiej Matysiak (CCC) m.t.
14. Markus Fothen (Milram) m.t.
15. Angelo Furlan (Lampre) m.t.

OH NOES!! Only 4th, he's clearly lost it. Unless there's some way we can find to blame Team Sky for this aberration?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    <FF mode> He's no champion, he needs to win some races before he can be considered a champion. Beaten by no marks!
    </FF mode>
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Apparently there was a crash near the end which made a mess of things. Good to see Robert Wagner up there - I remember him in 'Hart to Hart' in the 80s. He must be in his late 70s now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    Friere for San Remo!
  • WTF. 4th behind Freire and an 80 year old actor?
    That is super lightweight. A long way for him to go before he can start playing with the big boys.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Nice to see Jens Voight back though
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    maybe he didn't want to mess up his nice new dentures with his MASSIVE ACCELERATION. Poligrip ain't perfect, you know.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • afx237vi
    patchy wrote:
    maybe he didn't want to mess up his nice new dentures with his MASSIVE ACCELERATION. Poligrip ain't perfect, you know.

Are we talking about Cav or Robert Wagner here?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    patchy wrote:

Are we talking about Cav or Robert Wagner here?

Now I'm getting mixed mental images of Cav with his new teeth holding Robert Wagner upside down from the finishing line gantry, shouting "Who does Number 2 work for? Who does Number 2 work for?"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RichN95 wrote:
    Apparently there was a crash near the end which made a mess of things. Good to see Robert Wagner up there - I remember him in 'Hart to Hart' in the 80s. He must be in his late 70s now.

and only a few months ago he was competing in the World Darts Champs. 3192015174_1a9f4f460d.jpg
  • NIce to see the Cavendish name back on the results list.

4th in a sprint, will it be his worst result all year?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Probably, prodigy.

Whatever caused the crash in the final 250m will have caused him to come in 4th, no doubt, but now he'll be super-fired up to Win Every Sprint for the rest of the season.

He's probably gnawing down his shiny new teeth as I type, poor love. Just hope The Strumpet knows how to console him as well as Melissa did.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Tusher wrote:
    . Just hope The Strumpet knows how to console him as well as Melissa did.
    That might be just the problem :wink:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    The crash happened at the rear of the bunch, nowhere near the sprinters. Someone overshot the corner and went flying over the barriers, taking out a few others.
    Cunego and Gerdeman were involved.
    See here;-

www.cyclingfans.com

I think this was the only stage that will end up as a sprint finish.
    Cav will be back!!!
  • Hmmm.......Why did he not win? That is 25 quid lost.

He will be back i am sure!
  • 4th for the gobby git. Maybe he'll not be so gobby now. Get used to 4th Mark. He can now retire back to the family potato farm or whatever they do on that god aweful Isle of Gobby Gits.

I'll get my coat.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Cav & Robert Wagner. 'When they met it was moyder"
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    On the assumption that first races are going to decide how everyone does for the rest of the season, at least Cav won't have Hushovd to worry about in the green jersey battle this year as he'll quit the Tour after getting dropped on the first small hill :lol:
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    WTF. 4th behind Freire and an 80 year old actor?
    That is super lightweight. A long way for him to go before he can start playing with the big boys.

He's had poorly teef tho :cry:
  • spoiler button not working? :?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    He didn't even try...? Looks like there wasn't much room to come through in the last 100m, but loads of time to kick before then. He just looked like he couldn't be bothered. :?
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Apparently his teeth have not been wind tunnel tested, so it might be another vist to Dr Teeth :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    spoiler button not working? :?

Why? It's not as though it was/is on TV
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    spoiler button not working? :?

Why? It's not as though it was/is on TV

And nor is the result given away in the thread title :!:
  • I watch on satellite.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I watch on satellite.

Well if you read the title, and still clicked it, serves you right.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I watch on satellite.

Well if you read the title, and still clicked it, serves you right.

+1

The amount of posters who visit this site see a thread about a particular race and then complain about finding out the result is just ridiculous.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Health Warning:

STOP READING THREADS ABOUT RACES AND EXPECT NOT TO SEE DISCUSSION OF RESULTS

I still like my analogy of going to a pub in SE London and requesting a large contingent of local Millwall supporters NOT talk about football while you enjoy a white wine spritzer with your riding buddies in your butt hugging lycra.

Try it this Saturday and tell us how it goes.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Hi

Its great to see Cav getting written off so soon in the season of the back of one race. I think Cav is likely to be baseing his year around the TDF and the Worlds in Oz - so an early season race doesnt matter at all
  • Hi

Its great to see Cav getting written off so soon in the season of the back of one race. I think Cav is likely to be baseing his year around the TDF and the Worlds in Oz - so an early season race doesnt matter at all

What? Who is writing off Cav?