Headaches

gsxrian
gsxrian Posts: 97
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Keep getting headaches,after i've been out on my mtb...

how much do you drink after you've have been on a good rideout say like swinley...for 3 half hours.....
stumpjumper FSR comp 2008
trek 1.5 2010
Orbea Alma H70

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    about 6 pints of stella :D

no in reality...it depends on the temp...at the moment...2 litres is too much for me in 3 hours..but in summer, it can go up to 3 litres..

Then usually some juice or whatever after...

I rode the red route at glentress yesterday...very icy at the top...only managed about 1/2 a litre of water in the whole loop.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I don't think there's any one answer to that question.. it depends on how hydrated you were to start with (how many beers the night before?), how much you drink during the ride, what you are drinking, the temperature and how hard you are working..

We were up at Swinley for about 4 hours on Saturday during which time I only drank a 1 litre bottle of sports drink followed by a brew in the Lookout afterwards.

Maybe experiment with some of the sport and recovery drinks during and after your ride..?
  • Have you been riding lots in the cold weather? Very cold wind blowing though your crash hat could cause this. Try a little beenie hat under your lid.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, the cold does that to me too.
  • are you sure its down to hydration? I get headaches if i'm not adjusting my head enough to see and look up with my eyes if that makes any sense?
  • muddylegs wrote:
    Have you been riding lots in the cold weather? Very cold wind blowing though your crash hat could cause this. Try a little beenie hat under your lid.

both times have been in the cold weather!!

will try that for this weekend at afan.....

thanks Ian
    stumpjumper FSR comp 2008
    trek 1.5 2010
    Orbea Alma H70
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Get your eyes checked out. It could be migraines or visual migraines.
    Used to give me grief, and got some Naramig or similar named product from the GP.

Had a really bad one after running a Mtb leaders course, and didnt see the 30mph sign, or the copper hiding in a layby! Fine, points...not good.

Drugs got rid of headaches asap, but they are very strong.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    You should always make sure you're reasonably well hydrated before you go out on a ride.

I remember the worst thing I ever did was add a tiny iddy bit of salt to my squash drink as per home made sports drink recipe. The subsequent headaches were unbelievable and totally abnormal for me.

Because of the tiny quantity of salt I was putting into a litre of liquid I was left wondering about my overall dietary salt intake and I was indeed overdoing the salt. I decided to knock salt on the head for the most part as my body didn't need the surplus.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Is your helmet too tight? this gives me a headache, just a tiny bit looser sorts it...
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    skull cap for under the helmet stops me from getting brain freeze, tho i use a assos robo cap (i know stupid name but does the job). mbr recommends the dhb Hunston skull cap for when its really cold, hope thats all you need. maybe another thing would be spin an easier gear than you usually would.
  • you drink more if you have a camelback or equivalnet (Decathlon do a really good bag and bladder for £14.

get yourself one of tehm and your water intake will increase dramatically

As has been said above depends on the weather. last weekend I drank around a litre in a 3 hour jaunt around GT but tend to drink much more than that in the summer

Also, as sopmeone else said ...wear a scull cap under the helmet in really cold weather...this also helps...

Do you wear glasses normally but take them off to cycle?
    I should really invest incontacts but haven't yet and find that i sometimes get a headache from eye strain if I've been on a long cycle
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • If you are riding in the cold it could possibly be your sinuses playing up.
    Interviewer: ‘So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?’

Frank Zappa: ‘You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?”
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I'd have thought it would be more related to your shorts squeezing all your fat upwards and your head trying to explode.

Think about that 49" waiste being shoved into a pair of 36" pants and you're along the right lines.

Next we'll know your head will be discovered 300m from your body and the mass will still be errupting 3 days later. People will come from miles and miles just to see it.
  • I usually finish off a good 3 litres from my hydration pack during a 4 hour ride and take a bottle with water and drop a NUNN tablet in. the tri berry nun is very refreshing!