3 months off work, a hardtail and a car... any suggestions?

Peps Bee
Peps Bee Posts: 4
edited February 2010 in Routes
I'm after some advice. I'm heading to Europe (mostly France, but could drive anywhere) for April, May and June this year. I'll be loading the car with a whole range of sports equipment and hope to do a bit of off road while I'm away.

Problems are: I'm very new to mtb- started in August 09; I'm fairly slow (Wall followed by Penhydd back-to-back at Afan takes 4hr50); I've only Welsh mtb trail centres; I'll be travelling alone.

I've been looking at some amazing-looking places for some xc rides in the book 'Mountain Biking Europe', but I'm starting to wonder if it's silly to think I'm ready for these unfamiliar routes.

Has anyone been biking and Europe and could recommend some places for beginners?

I'm sure I'll meet people while I'm away, but do you think it's foolish to contemplate going to these places alone, as a beginner?? Any advice much appreciated

Cheers guys!

B

Comments

• Problems are: I'm very new to mtb- started in August 09; I'm fairly slow (Wall followed by Penhydd back-to-back at Afan takes 4hr50); I've only Welsh mtb trail centres; I'll be travelling alone.

I'd say you could do with gaining some experience, getting some coaching/training, going on one of the specific MTB holiday packages, or taking a few mates with you.
  • Wow...that sounds fantastic...haven't been abroad on my bike so can't help you but was thinking of going to morzine on a dirt girls week...Can't afford to have a couple of months off...lucky bugger but if you do want someone to join you for a couple of days i'd be up for that :P Just pm me...good luck anyway and have fun
    Biking whore of Wyre....rides with anyone!
  • So lucky :D I haven't got any experience of riding in Europe, but I'm sure there are some guided rides out there. Perhaps it's worth looking into something like that so you wont be on your own.
  • Alone is the best way to travel , you can go where you want when you want without having to compromise and making contact with the natives is easier. I can recommend Lac Guerledan in Brittany for beginners where there is an MTB Centre (Station VTT) with plenty of routes and bike wash facilities. Even the black route is nothing to worry about. If you need any more info you can check out Uttagawa VTT on the web. Good luck and enjoy.
    You know you've been working on the bike too long when it falls over and you don't care!
  • Thanks everyone, esp the Brittany suggestion. I don't normally plan much in advance, but I have to sort out my kit for the trip and don't want to take the hardtail if I end up doing only road rides....unless I just chuck the slicks in the boot and use that bike for road and off road, and just see what happens.... hmmm....
  • PamPen25
    PamPen25 Posts: 111
    Wow....Sounds like heaven.

I hope you enjoy wherever you go. As long as your safe, just ride!!!!!
  • good on you!! just get out and ride! im off to portugal in may on my own and like stavromuller says, you can go where you want,when you want! :D
  • I'd say take some slicks with you as they don't exactly take up much space and if you want a more serious road bike or mtb you can hire one for a day. Tourist offices should have info on mountain biking routes and there is loads of easier stuff across France, the FFC (equivalent of BC) is great at marking up trails.

By early june some of the resorts are starting to open up in the Alps. A few days of lift assisted riding can really move on your skills. Give me a shout if you head Morzine way - pleney lift here is open from 5th June.

If you're riding on your own just make sure someone knows your route and when to start worrying about you if you don't make it back.

Sassysarah, hopefully see you in august for dirtgirls :) pm me if you want more info on it!