Cycle saddle loan scheme

Percy Veere
Percy Veere Posts: 53
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
There seems to be many threads about finding a good saddle (or one that is comfy for you), with all the advice pointing towards 'you may have to try a lot'.

This gets expensive - I know.

Why can't we arrange some kind of load scheme. Many of us must have saddles lying about, or would be willing to loan one out to try another.

What does everyone think?

Comments

• Could be a niche market, the saddle library! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Can I borrow a young lady's saddle?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Could be a niche market, the saddle library! :lol:

Good idea, but I can see this post taking a rapid dive toward the gutter and beyond... :shock:
    You'd have to protect the details of the previous user, to avoid being swamped by pervs! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    hopper1 wrote:
    Good idea, but I can see this post taking a rapid dive toward the gutter and beyond... :shock:
    You'd have to protect the details of the previous user, to avoid being swamped by pervs! :wink:
    ffs
  • Yeah, funny how something meant to be serious and helpful soon becomes gutter material.
  • cathald
    cathald Posts: 105
    This is a superb Idea as I guess a lot of folk here have gone through a few saddles to get the correct one
    I was lucky to get my own fav after two attempts but a few others would not be so lucky
    and to get a try at a saddle for only the price of the postage has to be appealing

Cathal
  • There has been a saddle "library" loan scheme operating over on the Cyclechat forums for a wee while now. Top idea, especially since the right saddle for the individual can be a ( excuse the pun ) right pain in the backside to find. 8)

SADDLE LIBRARY LINK

I haven't used it yet, still fiddling around with my new Fizik Arione to see if I can live with it or not. :lol:
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Not exactly a 'comprehensive' saddle library .... there's no Fizik for a start ....
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Would your LBS not loan you saddles for a bit? :?

I tested loads before deciding. Back when I was doing a long ride every day, I would go in a try a new saddle every morning.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I know one of my LBS's has a saddle loan scheme - I think it's for Selle San Marco. Try before you buy kinda thing.

Some places do it with wheels, some do it with saddles.
  • Not exactly a 'comprehensive' saddle library

I didn't say it was. :wink:

It's in it's infancy at the moment and the availability of saddles all comes down to the amount of people willing to get involved.
  • giant_man
    I think a dedicated business offering all the major saddle manufacturers at different rates over say a week, would be a much better idea, rather than a few riders exchanging their old saddles, which as far as I can see thats all that is (cycle chat).

It will always be 'in its infancy' before someone puts some money in and gets some decent popular saddles and offers a proper service .......
  • Oh come on, don't be so critical!!. :D

It's better than nothing and at least it shows the drive and possibility is there?. I asked at two of my LBS's recently if I could try a few saddles out before purchasing and was met with a blank stare and a "Wut?" response.

I do agree with you though, a dedicated business doing this would be cool, but it would not be worthwhile profit wise to invest the time and money into such a niche venture which is why I reckon this sort of thing would only work on a voluntary/community basis.
  • giant_man
    oh I'm not being critical believe me just that I think it should and could be done better and on a bigger scale.

You could charge low rates on a tiered basis ie. the cheaper saddles could be had for a fiver a week for instance and your 200 quid helmet for twenty a week or similar. A few weeks of rental and you have got your investment on a particular saddle back. you could then sell it second hand.

As a small venture, it could work, just depends if it's worth the risk. You are possibly going to lose a few saddles due to unhonest people nicking them, but if you have conditions to protect you, then you might be covered. Interesting thread.
  • Besides saddles and helmets, stems (different andles/lengths) and handlebars (different widths/reach/drop) could also be hired out.

Like giant mancp said, this has real potential, providing you had the initial capital to buy a decent initial range of stock. The dangers that spring to mind would be effective theft and damages while on loan (bashing a helmet, over-tightening allen bolts causing stress fractures etc.).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • giant_man
    Have to say, I was just thinking of saddles cos to me there's a real need there ...... and why buy a new expensive saddle when you could try one for a week to see if it is the one you're going to be happy with ..... make sense to me.