...No more Kona Hoss! ...what is a Clydesdale to do now?

Kurgan
Kurgan Posts: 5
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
OK, so until several weeks ago I had not much idea at all as to what bike I needed to get my ar*e into gear following several years inactivity after having to finish playing rugby.

So after much research ...I have made slight progress! in that I have my heart set on a 20/26 Kona Hoss 2009, a perfect match for my currently lardy frame.

Have had little success tracking one down, came across a scurrilous scam site in the process; www.lcbikes.com ...avoid like the plague! and several left over 16" framed bikes ...and of course Kona have seemingly deemed in their infinate wisdom not to replace it!

Without having to pay 'over the odds' (£4-700'ish) I was wondering if any of you guys out there knew of the closest like for like (or better!) Hoss replacement for a 280lb 6' guy with dodgy knees? :(

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Welcome.

Are you looking for something for general riding about (XC/trail) or are you wanting to push it hard and hit a few jumpy sections?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Kona Coiler is the other Clyde friendly bike, i am 6'7 and love my friends.

Full squish will be a bit easier on you too.

I ride a WFO, but out of your budget, but something to aspire too?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Thanks for getting back chaps.

I guess initially I'll be looking more for general riding about, but being a competitive 'so and so' I'm sure I'll soon be throwing it around a bit. More the former than the latter though.

Will definitely look at the Coiler and take a peek at the WFO.

Cheers.
  • ...okay, now it's getting confusing!

Having devoured info on BikeRadar, the following also seem to be potential contenders? If you think any of the following are just not suitable for someone of my size/build/weight then please do let me know. Cheers.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc 2010
    Merlin Malt 4
    Boardman Mountain Bike Pro
    Revolution Triad 3.0
    Marin Eldridge Grade (10)
    Marin Rocky Ridge 2009
    GT Avalanche Disc 1.0

The Kona Coiler seems to now be extinct from the planet, and my hunt for a 2009 Hoss is unfortunately a distant memory.

...help. Please.
  • GHill
    For just general riding most bikes will probably be ok. Try sitting on a few to get a feel for them and if they feel too flimsy underneath you - if you have no confidence in its strength then it'll be a waste of money.
  • cavegiant
    Dammit, they were great bikes =-(

There are two simple rules for getting Clyde advice.

1) make sure you are getting advice from someone who weighs a lot. Otherwise although the advice is probably well meant it is mostly incorrect, mostly, not always.

2) buy a bike for heavier usage than you do. So if you ride XC, get a trail bike, if you ride trail get an AM bike. Otherwise you will snap parts regularly.

I would also say go FS, it will be a lot easier on you and on the bike components too.
    A lot of clydes disagree with that, but I don't understand why.

You also mention you play rugby, odds on you are going to be a very aggressive rider, AM bike all the way!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    Ill recommend any of Marin HT trail bikes (Northside trail, B17, Rocky Ridge)

Being a lad built for comfort as opposed to speed myself Ive found that I do go through parts quicker than my mates do, mainly bottom brackets , so ive always aimed for more burlier bikes and opted for strength as opposed to weight.

I convinced a mate to buy a a 06 Northside trail which was a really well balanced bike and could take everything I chucked at it, and another mate has the 07 Rocky Ridge which I feel can take as much punishment as my Norco anyday.. just to add hes 6.4" and 17st.

My 2ps worth anyhow :)

best of luck finding a steed
  • cavegiant
    If you dont mind killing your budget, the iron horse 6.4 is a world class bike and on good sale on CRC
  • Get an Orange Crush! Quite Hoss-like! Hoss always had a terrible fork though, not a Fox Float! Orange are a safe bet for sturdy bikes, in general. http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/2010/crush/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Apart from the god awful wheels.
  • Mavic on Deore hubs? Pretty good compared to just about everything else out there. The last Hoss I sold had an Alivio rear hub and Kona front hub.......... didn't last long. Admittedly some Mavic 719s/721s would be better but for £1100 it isnt going to happen.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mavic 117 is the entry level XC rim. The 2009 had the much sturdier EN321, and the 2008 the WTB Speed Disc AM, again a far better rim.

I'd take a cheaper RS fork and better wheels.
  • I'm the same size as the OP. I've had a mongoose tyax that i didnt break, a 2008 Trek EX8 that i didnt break, a 2009 Trek EX8 that i still haven't broken (that gets thrashed every weekend), an on-one inbred that hasn't broken (and is now singlespeed and takes me to work) and i sometimes ride my brother's 2006 GT avalanche 1 that i bent the seat post on but it was crap anyway.

first decent upgrade i bought was some hope pro2 wheels with DT 5.1 rims. no issues in 2 years.

any of those bikes in the list above will most probably be absolutely fine - apart from the wheels, eventually. pick up something second hand and get some strong wheels, also means you can have a tarmac set and a mud set.
  • Shoes
    Shoes Posts: 19
    what do you mean clydesdale - surely no the horse?

Also what is an AM bike?
    Stafford Photographer - Lawtonsoul Photography

All of your photographic needs covered, from portraiture to weddings.
  • GHill
    Shoes wrote:
    what do you mean clydesdale - surely no the horse?

It comes from Triathlons, a class for the larger sized guys.
    Shoes wrote:
    Also what is an AM bike?

AM = All Mountain. Essentially something that's tough for really bombing down hills, doing some big jumps etc, but is also able to pedal back up to the top (unlike a DH bike for example).
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    I'm 6'9'' and about 23stone. I bought a bike around 6 months ago and had similar problems. I did look at the hoss but their largest frame just didn't feel big enough. I also looked at the P7 spec'd up but this came to around £1150 with all the bits you would want. I though the frame on the hoss and P7 felt tough and sturdy but eventually went for the Spesh Rockhopper SL Comp 2010. Have not had a single problem with it although if I will most likely upgrade the wheels soon to something a bit tougher. The bike is really quite light compared to the Hoss and P& in my opinion so i will go for heavier wheels that can take some punishment. After all, a few extra pounds on the wheels is hardly going t matter with my lardy arse on the bike!

My advice, try loads of bikes and go for the one with the best possible components. I know this is a bit of a general statement but this usually means the most expensive you can afford!
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    don't know if this is of any help - not sure of they really can get one in 2 -7 days?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009
  • Shoes
    Shoes Posts: 19
    Ah all becomes clear, thanks :D

And that hoss is a shocker, I paid £70 more for my GT Avalanche :(
    Stafford Photographer - Lawtonsoul Photography

All of your photographic needs covered, from portraiture to weddings.