Cannondale CAAD9 with Tiagra or Trek 2.1 with 105??

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited February 2010 in Road beginners
Hi - Looking at top end Alu frames as I can't stretch to carbon and have shortlisted to the CAAD9 or Trek Alpha Black frames. Any advice on which is the best bet? The CAAD9 has had rave reviews but then I sacrifice components and have to make do with Tiagra until I can upgrade?
Grateful for any help/advice.
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• Er? Isn't many carbon framed bikes the same price as a CAAD9?

Try PlanetX for a carbon frame and Ultegra for the same price as a CAAD9....or thereabouts the same price :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • zoso7
    zoso7 Posts: 66
    I don't agree with just making do with Tiagra, I have full Tiagra on my road bike and it is totally reliable and functions just aswell as groupsets further up the heirarchy, only downside is it is a little heavier and perhaps lacks the bling factor with your mates down the pub, other than that, a fantastic, affordable and reliable groupset in my opinion. Also, there should not be any rush to upgrade Tiagra until it naturally needs replacing due to wear and tear!!

Don't know much about the trek but the caad9 is supposed to be just about the best Alu frame around.
  • Sammyw23
    Cheers for the response. I would love to look at planet X and Boardman Team Carbon but as with many others I am tied into Evans on the C2W scheme hence the suggestions
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    CAAD9 defo.

As for the suggestion that a Carbon Fibre bike must be better because it's carbon fibre is utter tosh.

The CAAD9 frame is better than a lot of more expensive carbon frames I've ridden.
  • +1 CAAD9 - it's a super dooper bike - Tiagra IMO is fine - I'd save your money to upgrade the wheels if you want to upgrade something.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    How about the Felt Z35 for £1299 (£600 off) the carbon frame with 105? great bike for the money
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    If you really want to upgrade I'm gonna be selling some 105 mechs and shifters soon and I also have a cassette. Think that would be all you need to upgrade.
  • CAAD9. It's the logical choice. Frame is more important than groupset.

Plus, you could whip off the Tiagra, sell it and buy 105. Or maybe even SRAM Force.

Don't buy a cheap carbon fibre bike just so you can brag. It'll be shite. I hear the CAAD9 frame is something special, and whips a lot of more expensive carbon frames.
  • ^ No point really.

Can't you just save a bit longer and get the CAAD9 105 that has the BB30 jobbie.....

http://www.bb30standard.com/

Dunno if you care about that but probably what i'd go for.

Edit : Thought i read somewhere the adaptor wasn't removable from the Tigra version but think that's wrong, teach me for reading the forum all the time :wink:
  • All the new 2010 CAAD9 have BB30, Tiagra, 105 etc..

There's some machinations here between Tiagra and 105 VVV

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15817521

Cycle Plus in their view didnt think there was much difference between the two vvv
    Tiagra doesn’t feel that different from 105, but if in a few years’ time you want to upgrade to 10-speed and flashier kit then this frame is eminently good enough.

the review is on bikes and gear here.
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • Sammyw23
    Re: the BB30 just reading on cannondale website that the Tiagra bottom bracket uses an adaptor as mentioned by Stefano - anyone know for definite whether the adaptor is removable. Cannondale website suggests that some BB adaptors should not be removed.....
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • That's what i thought i read somewhere on here too, someone will clarify this soon......
  • Sammyw23
    Its not that you can't remove it though just that you shouldn't continually do so. So if we're talking one upgrade I would think it would be ok??
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Well the 105 version seems to be 300 quid more, the cheapest bb30 crankset i could see on a quick google was 180.....Then the cost of the groupset seems silly not to jump straight into the 105 one to me (if viable obviously)
  • Sammyw23
    I agree totally but there is one problem...I am not a fan of the all black paint job I want the liquigas colours and the 105 spec only comes in black or red? Otherwise I would be paying the extra
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Think they've only introduced the BB30 system from 2010...
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    I agree totally but there is one problem...I am not a fan of the all black paint job I want the liquigas colours and the 105 spec only comes in black or red? Otherwise I would be paying the extra

Shame, I think it looks FAB in Jet Black, Mrs Wife calls it The Stealth Bike. :)
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Personally, i'd be more inclined to go for the raleigh aerospace contour :D
    My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you.
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    Sammyw23 wrote:

The Liquigas colours will date quickly, whereas the black/silver is timeless.
  • The Mavic neutral support at pro races carries yellow painted CAAD9 bikes as their replacement/support bike. That's for giving to riders who've blown up their bike and whose team may not have a backup bike for them so they can finish the race on a neutral support bike. The CAAD9 aluminum is popular for criterium racing too.

I'm in the USA and have a 2009 CAAD9... The BB30 bottom bracket shell is standard on the 2010 CAAD9 frames, and there were some 2009 framesets that were made with BB30, though the stock 2009 bikes were not. A BB30 adaptor can be removed, though some manufacturers recommend not to on carbon fiber bikes, probably due to liability issues. On the CAAD9 or Trek 2.1 which should have aluminum bottom bracket shells, that's not a problem.

Whether or not the frame can take BB30 is probably much less important than other matters. If you can get a great deal on a 2009 CAAD9 without it, go for it! Do NOT discount the Trek or other brands though. A good bike for me might be a bad bike for you.

I ride both a 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-5 and an old 1983 or 1984 carbon steel road bike. I actually ride the old steel more often. The bike is a LOT less important than most people make it out to be! As long as it is comfortable to ride, and you don't get hurt riding it, get the one you think looks the coolest!

The matte black (BBQ) CAAD9 frame is awesome to see in person, a picture on the internet doesn't do it justice. I have a patriot blue frame since blue is my favorite color...
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    If you going to get 105 anyway, why don't you just get 105 first time around. It be cheaper in the long run. If you can't get the 105 for whatever reason then get the CAAD9 Tiagra.

Well a young familar guy who races, shot past me with a CAAD9, must of been going like 28mph on the flat. He most likely had better wheels. I was proud i managed to catch him eventually, on the way home of my training run, was cat and mouse for 5 miles, dropped him twice but he eventually dropped me for good. Anyways now that i got the bike fit setup good. I am really glad i got a Synapse instead of a CAAD9 as i really appreciate the comfort on bad roads but still has alot stifness in the frame and crank.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    What happened to the usual advice mantra of, go and ride both to see which actually suits you?
    Internet forums are a useful resource, but it is your money and will be your bike, probably best the decision ends up being your own.
    Good luck.
  • I made the same decision couple of weeks ago. I rode both and I could not tell the difference between the components. They were both changing gears nicely and that was it really. There was no difference in brakes department either. Brakes are tiagra on both bikes anyway.

However, I could tell the difference between ride quality, caad9 felt much stable and lighter at the same time. Imho the build quality is better in caad9 as well.

If you are not doing serious racing I don't think you will need to upgrade components soon. Components are more like a marketing strategy for brands than real life benefits for people.

Both should make very good bikes but since you asked which one, it should be the caad9. But be aware caad9 has a more demanding riding position, 2.1 felt more relaxed for me.

But ride them as I did and you will have the answer in no time. :wink:
    Cannondale CAAD9
  • CAAD9 definitely - got one & love it. As an upgrade down the line you'll probably want to put Ultegra or Force (bypassing 105) on it anyway - it easily merits it.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Jimbo. wrote:
    Sammyw23 wrote:

The Liquigas colours will date quickly, whereas the black/silver is timeless.

Have today ordered the 2009 Caad9 in BBQ. Mrs Carl_P made the very valid point that it will be much easier to get jerseys/shoes etc to match the matt black than the Leekygas lime green. I think she's just relieved I finally found a bike well well below a grand :lol: .

I have 2 other bikes, one with Tiagra, the other with 105. There is no noticeable difference in my opinion.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...