New Deraailleur for Trek 6300

mungojerry31
mungojerry31 Posts: 12
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Does anyone have advice on getting a Shimano XT RD-M760 (long cage) derailleur for a 2008 Trek 6300? From what I understand a long cage would be best on this bike, but wanted to double check before making the purchase.

The bike comes with :
Crank: Shimano M442 Octalink 44/32/22
Cassette: SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed

I've been biking for a while, but am just starting to get into repairing/upgrading components. After reading several helpful posts on this forum I think it would be best to upgrade to an XT derailleur and possibly XTR shifters. If anyone has any opinions/advice/tips on this purchase or any other upgrades it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You would need a long cage.

But anything wrong with what you have? I'd save the money towards lighter fork or wheels. The Deore is good stuff.
  • Thanks for the info. It's a used bike and I wanted to 'mark my territory' by adding some new gadgets to the ride. My last bike had all LX comonents and I really liked them and figured I may as well put a few extra bucks into an upgrade.

Do I have to make sure that the deraiuller and shifters are both rapid rise or can I mix and match as needed?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Do I have to make sure that the deraiuller and shifters are both rapid rise or can I mix and match as needed?
    No such thing as rapid rise shifters, do you want a rapid rise rear mech or normal?
  • my bad, my son is teething and it takes an extra few coffees to get my head going.

What I was trying to get at was: if I get the Shimano XT RD-M760 will it limit my choices when I buy a new shifter? I haven't seen anything on the forum to indicate it would but didn't want to get stuck with an RD or shifter I couldn't use.
    My old RD was normal rise but from what I've read (and imagine) I could get used to a rapid rise after a few times in the saddle. If you have any thoughts on this subject it would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks again for the help.
  • stu8975
    The rapid rise debate is a 'love it' or 'hate it' thing, personally I'm not a fan, just can't get used to the 'reverse shifting', but others swear by it. Unless you have the luxury of trying one before you buy it, then you may be wasting your money (you wont get it back if you sell it if you don't like it). Any reason for the M760 as opposed to a newer model..ie one of the shadow models?
  • None other than a very cheap price on e-bay that closes shortly. Would you recommend holding out and looking at a newer model? If so any ideas? I've probably got £150 (maybe £200) to put into the bike over the next 3 months. I'll be spending at least £30 of that on some Shimano PD 520's and the rest for a new RD and shifters.
  • stu8975
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... r-kit.html
    Or
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... r-kit.html (Although out of stock at the moment)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... edals.html

Is there anything wrong with the kit you have? money could be better spent..ie Fork upgrade
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have to agree, I don't think you'd notice much difference with these upgrades. The XT shifters are a bit smoother, having said that, with a shorter throw, but pitting towards a new fork will make a vast difference.