Brighton cyclists beware!

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited March 2010 in Campaign

Comments

• Boris Johnson reckons London's bendy buses are twice as dangerous as other buses. Is he right?

The claim

"Bendy buses have twice as many collisions with pedestrians and cyclists than other buses."
    Boris Johnson, Conservative mayoral manifesto, 19 March 2008
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • We only got them down here as they were rusting in a field after London said they didn't want them. (same company runs the buses down here as in London I believe)

I look forward to their wider introduction on some of the bendier routes and the destruction of street furniture that results.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Imagine a bendy bus time trial up Alpe d'Huez! :shock:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    First had them in Southampton. A couple of people were flung over whilst getting up out of the seat to get off (happened to me too, bus hit a bump as I tried to navigate the consetina bit and BOING)

Saw many of them get stuck on normal corners - infact I reckon thats why they got the DDs back, due to the pavements being driven over and the risk of bad overtakes.
  • Surely Brighton is one of the worst places to (re-)introduce these abominations? The city is full of tight turns and narrow streets-as is Hove. It will be a nightmare. I struggle with having to share roadspace on my commute from St.Pancras to Victoria with bendy buses, and find that their drivers seem to be not really aware of how intimidating they can be. Or don't care, judging by the way they overtake then try to get to the kerb in front of you leaving you with minimal escape route.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    Having been kerbed by overtaking buses more than once in Brighton, perhaps they are exactly the right thing for the bonkers drivers down here.
  • bikermaze
    bikermaze Posts: 23
    edited April 2010
    I hope they know what they're doing with this move. As far as I am concerned, it's not very feasible and I fear for my Brighton counterparts after reading this. Good luck.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Good!! Send them to Brighton! Then we won't have to put up with the feckin things here in London! Bloody Boris was supposed to rid them from the streets after he became mayor. Years later and they're still here, doesn't seem to be any less. IMO they should be moving to smaller buses that run more frequently than bigger ones that half the time have no one in them.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    They've never seemed any more of a problem than normal buses ime. It would be a much more sensible policy to start picking out the persistently offending drivers - the 5% (guess) or so who will never respond to cycle awarenss training - and give them desk jobs or retire them off. I'm not really so worried about what they drive, more how they drive them.

I undertsand now that as a result of bendy buses going some poorer families are finding commuting to work/ school/ college a real struggle again.
  • Porgy
    agg25 wrote:
    Good!! Send them to Brighton! Then we won't have to put up with the feckin things here in London! Bloody Boris was supposed to rid them from the streets after he became mayor. Years later and they're still here, doesn't seem to be any less. IMO they should be moving to smaller buses that run more frequently than bigger ones that half the time have no one in them.

More buses!! :shock:

No thanks! :x

I reckon there's enough on the road already - try riding through Hyde Park Corner/ victoria/ Vauxhall/ Camberwell during rush hour now if you think there should be more buses.
  • agg25
    If you read it again, you would see that I said SMALLER buses. And I ride 8 miles through the city peak hour every day.
  • Porgy
    agg25 wrote:
    If you read it again, you would see that I said SMALLER buses. And I ride 8 miles through the city peak hour every day.

small buses are still pretty big.

More buses = more bus drivers. :?
  • agg25
    Well a reduction in width of even 20% would mean it would be a lot easier to get around them and they would be only slightly wider than a wide car. They could then be more precise in the amount of capacity they allow for.
    In the end a smaller bus is a better bus.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Porgy wrote:
    I undertsand now that as a result of bendy buses going some poorer families are finding commuting to work/ school/ college a real struggle again.

Why?

What is the source of that information?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    They are only going to be used on the university routes which get the most busy, at least to start with.
    Mañana