Stuart Maconie cannot be trusted in Mark Radcliffe's absence

Westerberg
Westerberg Posts: 652
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
...everytime Radcliffe is off, Maconie reverts to playing absolute tosh - wanky 80's pish and disco lite crap. Come back Mark, Maconie is ruining the show again!

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Radcliffe "is" the programme!
    He's got an encyclopedic knowledge of the singers/band/producers/writers etc.

Mac conkey - sic - on the other hand, is like a failed extra for Corrie/Emmerdale, who needs to water his allotment, feed his whippets and put his cloth cap at a jaunty angle.

Only problem is, Radcliffes stammering, stuttering, "erms, ums and aghs" gets a bit wearing!
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Usually listen to them at work the next morning. Radcliffes 'right, that's enough of that' cut offs when Maconie goes off on one are classic.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    That's after I've listen to Marc Riley first mind you. He's much better.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Westerberg wrote:
    ...everytime Radcliffe is off, Maconie reverts to playing absolute tosh - wanky 80's pish and disco lite crap. Come back Mark, Maconie is ruining the show again!

Stuart Maconie and Mark ~Radcliffe are DJs on Bike ~Radar? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I think Mark Radcliffe is great - he definitely makes that show.

...perhaps not so much now- but there seems to be a bit of rivalry between those two on that show! I can't help thinking that they were forced into that partnership together and neither were very happy about it!?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I think Mark Radcliffe is great - he definitely makes that show.

...perhaps not so much now- but there seems to be a bit of rivalry between those two on that show! I can't help thinking that they were forced into that partnership together and neither were very happy about it!?

in the days of yore, when i listened to R1, the mark and lard breakfast show was awesome.....much better then the ginger twit. I listen to Riley on 6 music.

didn't maconie start off doing spots and reviews on R1, rather than having full control of a show?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Radcliffe an Noddy Holder would be great

Mind you Mark and Lard would trump that hands down
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Maconie presents the "Freak Zone" on 6Music - he has a taste for the odd and cerebral - while Radcliffe is more Indie.

I think on Radio 2 Maconie just falls back to audience pleasers and playlist as the stuff he'd really like to play would probably cause most radio 2 listeners to recoil in displeasure or become confused.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Quite like them both - better than the usual tosh you get on BBC radio anyway - I do agree Radcliffe is probably a bit more important to the show than t'other one.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • for my money, Radcliffe isn't afraid to call a spade a spade. Whereas Maconie is too scared of being called a snob so plays stuff other people know to be tosh, with the misguided intention of appearing broad minded.

That said, I used to like his old Saturday night R2 show - called something like 'Unknown pleasures'