Landings to flat

Ryan Jones
Ryan Jones Posts: 775
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Okay you see plenty of crazy drops from a gazillion feet but we all know the real killers are the ones where you land to flat. So as a true query as to the strength of different bikes what kind of drops to flat have you done on what bike?

5 foot on my GT Ruckus 2.0 hardtail (near flat very slight slope bottomed out the rims on some slow speed shore style)

7 foot on my old scott nitrous (proper flat in the local park onto the football field which was solid, was told i come close to bottoming out and the sidewall on my tyre came off the rim)

Comments

• Not for a very long time, and probably never done anything near that big on an MTB, but a good few over 6' on a BMX, over table tops and the like, clearing the lot and landing to flat. And rarely done any kind of damage. That said, I'm sure I was a good few stone lighter at 14...
  • About 5 feet on my Commencal, but wouldn't want to do it regularly as I'm not sure it would last long!
  • I dropped the high boardwalk at Llandegla by accident which is pretty much to flat :lol:

no idea how big it is though!
  • 2000 Marin Hawk Hill, done hundreds of drops to flat with the max being around 7 ft. No problems at all; apart from buckled wheels, and the most painfull bottoming out experience with the In-sync 328 forks sending the worst pain ive ever felt straight through my wrists.

Got new forks and wheels, infact only the frame is standard now.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    7ft is good going on a hawk hill - that is higher than door. Infact it is higher than my bedroom.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    6" on an 07 Niner RIP 9 was enough to shatter the frame.
    I had done a ton of 1-2 feet drops the weekend before (not to flat).

Just to clarrify this is a known issue with the 07 frame, the 09 onwards are amazing.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    ^six inches?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    about 4 feet on an 06 hardrock ....

it was fine and continues with all the same kit. (apart from mechs...which i am the breaker of)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    about 3 ft to slightly UPHILL tarmac. on my Aggressor xcr.
    all was/is fine... i do that drop most days....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I can't think of anywhere I ride that has any drops to flat worth mentioning.

The only thing close is on the Mojo at Cwmcarn, there's a jump (just after the big berm) that's got a flat landing if you come up short, landed like a tool off that a few times, enough for the upper swing arm on my A-Line to hit the seat stay, that's a 8.25" travel frame too. closely followed by by all the air coming out of my lung and me making a funny Ooooooof noise.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    2.5ft, on my bike in sig. :oops:
    You don't have much room for mistakes on a XC bike to do bigger drops.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    3ft on my Boardman HT :oops:

It survived!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i jumped a 10ft table top on a kona stnky air, then decided to hit the same jump on a cove hummer :shock: needless to say i cacked myself and never hit the jump on a ht again :lol:
  • lawman wrote:
    i jumped a 10ft table top on a kona stnky air, then decided to hit the same jump on a cove hummer :shock: needless to say i cacked myself and never hit the jump on a ht again :lol:

you landed 10ft to flat? :shock:

or do you mean you actually hit the downslope on a 10ft tabletop? I think the OP is talking about landings to flat.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    well the actual table top was about 8-9ft and i over jumped it by a feet or so :lol: i was bricking it thinking sh!t ive got this wrong, but ahnkfully the kona sucked it up, did bottom out tho :lol: the cove well, that wasnt so easy :lol:
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    on my old hartail i hit a 6' table and over cleared it landing about 15' to flat but luckily the ground was a bit soft and i left a 3" deep trench where the back wheel landed nothing happened to the bike cos i sucked up the landing with my legs and testicles :shock:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    About 6 foot, off the top of a wall into a carpark when I was about 15. Only broke one wrist :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    About 6 foot, off the top of a wall into a carpark when I was about 15. Only broke one wrist :lol:
    Well you were 15. One wrist would naturally have been superhumanly strong.... :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I'm not the smoothest at the best of times and until recently weighed the best part of 14st, so tend to avoid drops to flat... in fact probably never done much more than 3-4' to slopped....
    I think the Wolf ridge could handle pretty big drops with a smooth rider, but the IFT would be another story!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    5-6 foot drop which i do quite regulary on a saracen xile, since i started the seatpost has snapped twice :)
  • 4foot or so on the 456 onto paving stones. Do it most weekdays as it's on my commute.
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    about 4 foot on a variety of hardtails
  • 5-6ft Drop to flat over some stairs on a Kona Stab, no long term problems - landed a bit hard* and jarred my ankle a bit
    n516908266_1000832_5839.jpg
    Done a different 5ish foot drop to flatish on an Orange 222, bottomed really harshly but no damage to me or the bike!

*should have wound on some more compression/rebound damping - but was too lazy to adjust my DH setup
    <hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)
  • That's quite a nice shot, look at the rear tyre :shock:
  • It's actually just a video frame, hence the lack of focus!

And yeah, glad I didn't pinch flat on that one.
    <hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)