Support ride for Ken Middlemiss in Plymouth, Saturday 13th

mr_tricolore
mr_tricolore Posts: 255
edited May 2018 in Campaign
It will soon be a year since Ken Middlemiss was hit by a van whilst riding through Plympton on his way to meet friends for a training cycle ride. Since the collision, and despite making a remarkable physical recovery considering the injuries to the chest and ribs he suffered, Ken is yet to recover from the brain injury that left him with very limited awareness and almost no ability to communicate with his family.

This week, the man responsible for Ken's injuries appeared in court and was sentenced to 6 driver's license points penalty and fines amounting to £265. (http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Driver-guilty-cycle-crash-case/article-1822635-detail/article.html)

Rather than debate about the adequacy of this sentence, let's show our support to Ken's family and on the same occasion, show all road users that cyclists represent a "critical mass" that cannot simply be ignored or pushed aside.

I propose that we ride from Coypool car park in Plympton, along the Embankment, then follow Exeter Road and carry on into the city centre, where our group can disperse.

Ken breathed inspiration into many of us to become better cyclists, let's honour him by stating loud and clear a message he always believed in: THE ROAD IS FOR EVERYONE
You only need one!
FGG #2909

Comments

• Is the suggested date for this ride this coming Saturday? May I suggest that the ride could perhaps occur closer to the anniversary of Kens' accident which I believe was March 19th,so perhaps the the Saturday after on March 21st.

Either way the ride is a great idea and one which I fully support and will try my best to join.
  • To enable a proper show of support, we will no longer directly link this ride to Ken or his family, but the ride will still go ahead as a way of reminding other road users that we all share the same road.
    There are already talks of an event that would celebrate Ken as a person as well as his influence on the local cycling scene later on.

Details of tomorrow's event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=487167915642&ref=nf
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    How did it go?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • runningdud
    runningdud Posts: 2
    It will soon be a year since Ken Middlemiss was hit by a van whilst riding through Plympton on his way to meet friends for a training cycle ride. Since the collision, and despite making a remarkable physical recovery considering the injuries to the chest and ribs he suffered, Ken is yet to recover from the brain injury that left him with very limited awareness and almost no ability to communicate with his family.

This week, the man responsible for Ken's injuries appeared in court and was sentenced to 6 driver's license points penalty and fines amounting to £265. (http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Driver-guilty-cycle-crash-case/article-1822635-detail/article.html)

Rather than debate about the adequacy of this sentence, let's show our support to Ken's family and on the same occasion, show all road users that cyclists represent a "critical mass" that cannot simply be ignored or pushed aside.

I propose that we ride from Coypool car park in Plympton, along the Embankment, then follow Exeter Road and carry on into the city centre, where our group can disperse.

Ken breathed inspiration into many of us to become better cyclists, let's honour him by stating loud and clear a message he always believed in: THE ROAD IS FOR EVERYONE

Sir:
    I sent you a PM. Please reply. Thank you.
  • runningdud
    runningdud Posts: 2
    To any friends/club members of Ken,
    I am desperately trying to find out about Ken. I met him when he was our guide on a FCH tour in the fall of '07. He was such a great guy, he and I really hit it off together as did our entire group from the US. I am trying to find out exactly what happened to him, the extent of his injuries and prognosis. If any of his friends are reading this, I kindly ask that you please send me a PM. It absolutely breaks my heart to think that such a vital and great person such as Ken has been silenced. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Bumping this thread. Anyone know how Ken is these days?
  • 3SportGman
    3SportGman Posts: 43
    PM me if you're still interested in more info. I'm his son