Classic Components

26 to Life
26 to Life Posts: 194
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I was thinking the other day about bike bits, and how some really stand out as classics. Things like Azonic Single wall riser bars (2" rise thankyouplease), I have had 5 sets and none ever failed despite going through other parts at a rate of knots. Tried a set of gold taperlights and finished them off in a couple of months. WF singlewalls always sat just right for me, didn't cost too much, and had that 5 year any reason warranty. Brilliant.

There are others, but I don't want to swamp the start of the tread.

What are your classic bike parts?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    panaracer smoke and darts, still not found a tyre i like as much as i loved those :( mine we're probably ten years old when they gave up the ghost a few years ago and have been on 5 bikes over the years, in comparrison, a set of michelins had since have lasted just 6 months and my current intenses have lasted just over a year, lets see if my next set will last as long :)
  • My old XT thumbies are still going strong on a bike I built up for my brother, made entirely from old bits I had knocking about. It's also got an old Hope screw on hub and a bomb proof xt rear mech.

I've a feeling it had a Ritchey Z-max tyre on it too, but bro has replaced that with some smooth tyres.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i used a set of z max's for a few weeks last year. going from a fat 800g 2.25 tyre to a 350g 1.8 wcs zmax was interesting to say the least :lol:
  • lawman wrote:
    panaracer smoke and darts, still not found a tyre i like as much as i loved those :( mine we're probably ten years old when they gave up the ghost a few years ago and have been on 5 bikes over the years, in comparrison, a set of michelins had since have lasted just 6 months and my current intenses have lasted just over a year, lets see if my next set will last as long :)

My top tyres were IRC Missiles. They were lovely tyres, and had red walls! IRC El Gatos were also really nice, but I went of IRC when they changed the casing to the horrible thing they had on the Kujos. Yes, this was in my 'trials' period. I think it was mandatory to have red walled tyres and Flouro yellow HS33s.

Smoke and Dart were my first proper offroad tyres though.
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    26 to Life wrote:
    Azonic Single wall riser bars (2" rise thankyouplease),

Still got pair of those on my 2nd bike!

My mate snapped a set though about 10 years ago, took them back to Maclaines in Wolverhampton and the guy on the counter called all the staff over to have a look, none of em could believe it! He told them he broke them jumping and they didn't care, just swapped them straight away cos they were 'impressed' that he'd managed to snap them!

I built me mate a bike last summer and chucked in a 12 year old UN52 bottom bracket that had been in my shed for the last 4 years, was still smooth and tight.

Last year I had to sell my rear Magura HS33 after getting a frame that was disc only, I'd used it since 99 and would still be using it now if I could!
  • If anyone's feeling particularly nostalgic onza porcupines
  • If anyone's feeling particularly nostalgic onza porcupines
    Not white, and worn completely flat, doesn't count ;)

I'll see your porcupines, and raise you a set of Butterscotch Psychos (sfw). Wasn't the joke that they had to have a pit stop on DH courses to replace the worn out tyres?

Should this be the 'kit nostalgia' thread instead?

Edit - Stems. The Roox Danny was unbeatable IMO.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I presume you guys have been on www.retrobike.co.uk !?!?!?
  • I presume you guys have been on www.retrobike.co.uk !?!?!?
    Yeha, I linked to a picture there. Wasn't really what meant this thread to be about but there y'are.

Can't decide which are my favourite forks ever - 98 Marzocchi z1 BAM, or 04 Manitou Dorado SC. Ah, good old days...