Commuting from Surbiton

RJLJ
RJLJ Posts: 27
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all

Any one commute into London (City/Tower Hill) from Surbiton? If so, what route do you take?

Richard

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I would assume embankment then through richmond park? A3 is not a great idea
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I would advise going through Kingston, along the A3 cycle path (unless you're very fast or feelin suicidal), then down West Hill into Wandsworth and then take the second exit at the Wandsworth RAB and it's a long straight road all the way through to Vauxhall Cross. You then head left down Albert Embankment, past Waterloo, second exit across Waterloo RAB and then you can turn right onto Tooley Street at London Bridge, from there Tower Bridge is a left turn a few hundred metres down the road. This is a pretty good clear route with few fellow cyclists so you won't get caught up in the hideous Elephant & Castle / Clapham peleton
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I commute from Walton to Tower Hill. The best route is to go through Richmond Park, New Kings Road and then Embankment. It's a great ride and I much prefer it to going via Wandsworth.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I commute from Walton to Tower Hill. The best route is to go through Richmond Park, New Kings Road and then Embankment. It's a great ride and I much prefer it to going via Wandsworth.

not a commute but thats the way I tend to go.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    +1 for the RP > Priory Lane > Lower RR > Putney Br > NKR > Cheyne Walk > MillBank > Parly Sq > Vic embankement route.

If traffic is tough going in Chelsea i sometimes duck down Lotts Road and go around Hurlingham park to avoid the madness on the way home (though about .5 miles longer).

Just watch out for the potholes, Priory lanes has some killers, in particular.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cambs wrote:
    +1 for the RP > Priory Lane > Lower RR > Putney Br > NKR > Cheyne Walk > MillBank > Parly Sq > Vic embankement route.

If traffic is tough going in Chelsea i sometimes duck down Lotts Road and go around Hurlingham park to avoid the madness on the way home (though about .5 miles longer).

Just watch out for the potholes, Priory lanes has some killers, in particular.

+1. I ride from Kingston to St Katharine's Dock.

Very good point about Priory Lane. Leave plenty of room between you and any bikes in front up, so you have time to spot the potholes.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • RJLJ
    RJLJ Posts: 27
    Thanks for the route suggestions. Will pull out a A-Zs am not familiar with the route.
  • cambs
    Here you go:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/surbi ... 3671563171

In Kingston the route follows the cycle path around the station, its not going head on the wrong way on the one-way system!

15 miles and 259 ft of ascent - enjoy, and see you out there : i'm on a blash specialized and carrying an orange-covered back pack.

You may already know this but RP pedestrian gates are open 24hrs even though it shuts for cars - but, there is a deer cull on now and they are currently closing it completely between 20.00 and 07.30 so get out before then. Oh, and you'll need a good light to spot the deer on the road at night.
  • asprilla
    When did the cull start again? I went through last week before 7.30.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cambs
    Getting a bit ahead of myself but its from tomorrow for 6 weeks.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I am going to Kingston tonight and wondered if its ok to cycle through the park after dark? I only have a cateye light...should i stick to the A3 cycle path (sounds grim).
  • asprilla
    I go though the park every night with a couple of one watt LEDs, but there are loads of folks riding with less powerful (or sometimes no) lights. The biggest issue I have is fools with 12bn lumen lights comeing the other way blinding you.

The park is fine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Cheers.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Erm, when does the cull start? Fairly sure it's on now...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    Sarted on the first, but the pedestrian gates are still open between 07.30 and 20.00.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    I am going to Kingston tonight and wondered if its ok to cycle through the park after dark? I only have a cateye light...should i stick to the A3 cycle path (sounds grim).

You could proceed with caution through the Park and head out at Robin Hood Gate and up Kingston Hill and then down into Kingston, or out at Kingston Gate. Alternatively, you could go round the Park into Sheen, up Queen's Road, down Star & Garter Hill (by Richmond Gate), through Petersham and Ham and into Kingston.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

You could proceed with caution through the Park and head out at Robin Hood Gate and up Kingston Hill and then down into Kingston, or out at Kingston Gate. Alternatively, you could go round the Park into Sheen, up Queen's Road, down Star & Garter Hill (by Richmond Gate), through Petersham and Ham and into Kingston.

Thats pretty much what I'd do if I din't have great lights with me.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.