edited April 2010 in Pro race
Who is gonna win this classic,Im going for
Juan Antonio Flecha
but cancellara is hitting form at right time
what does everyone else think

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I'd love to see Flecha win it as I think he's due a 'monument'. But he'll need to use his head a bit to win. I was encouraged at how wisely he rode during Het Volk where he came very close to the win so hopefully he'll do the same tomorrow.

Cancellara looks good and Boonen must be hurting a bit having 'failed' in the the RVV.
  • Echappee
    Echappee Posts: 79
    It'll be a very dry & dusty edition. Can't remember the last wet one? 2001 maybe?
  • Melpro
    Melpro Posts: 35
    Well nobody saw that one coming - Stuart O'Grady winning.

What an amazing ride he must have had - good to see him doing well again. He seems like one of the good guys so I'm pleased he won.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Another great ride from Hammond too. 7th, when was the last time a Briton got into the top 10 (Who was our highest placed ever rider anyway Hoban 3rd in '72?).
    The results from the junior version bear looking at too, http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id= ... xjuniors07
    A cracking 6th for Adam Blythe, oh and a French winner!

Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OffTheBackAdam</i>

Another great ride from Hammond too. 7th, when was the last time a Briton got into the top 10 (Who was our highest placed ever rider anyway Hoban 3rd in '72?).
    The results from the junior version bear looking at too, http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id= ... xjuniors07
    A cracking 6th for Adam Blythe, oh and a French winner!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hammond was 3rd in 2004 Paris Roubaix..

and Sean Yates was 5th in Paris Roubaix in 1994 when Tchmil won.
  • A little disappointed by Ballan!!!
    Very unlucky!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Boonen
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Boonen

Holy molly thread resurrection hey? :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I haven't been here for quite a while. Is there no Pro Tour Pundit this year?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    csp wrote:
    I haven't been here for quite a while. Is there no Pro Tour Pundit this year?

2007 or 2010? :shock:

Het Nieuwsblad, Feb 27th.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I like this idea. Maybe I can find the thread where iain said Cav wasn't that quick and Ciolek was much faster :D

Then again someone might drag up the thread where I suggested Millar could win the Tour in 2006... :roll:
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Boonen
    oh,about 10 months too late :lol::lol:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Boonen
    oh,about 10 months too late :lol::lol:

nearly time only 8 weeks to go, time for me to start training because after watching that im always up for it.
  • nick hanson
    Just booked ferry & accomodation to go see it with my Bro',
    After seeing it with the missus & children last year.
    Absolutely awesome to see.
  • It's good to talk about a race in the same thread as the previous year's. It stops peeps from recycling the same old sheit. There's too many empty threads on this forum anyway. How many threads about Contador's tour wheels do we need? consensus says three apparently...

Boonen, how about a sprint win over Haussler today eh? He's getting better and hopefully will put the blow and the hookers behind him, at least until the middle of April... We'll see.

Anyway you can't rule out Haussler - ever. But I have to say I would LOVE to see a resurgent leif Hoste get it. I mean, why not?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Got ridiculously good odds on Cav winning P-R a couple of months ago - something like 25/1.

Ok, it's probably a couple of years early for him, but he's said a few times that it's one of his great ambitions.

To continue the current forum obsession with Sky, it'll be interesting to see how they divvy up the cobbled classics. Guess it'll be Flecha for P-R and EBH for Flanders. EBH is going to be hard to beat in whichever one he's the main man for, but Boonen is the favourite.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    All other things being equal, Boonen will always be favourite for the two cobbled monuments.

However, if Cancellara finds that mega form he can get himself into (for instance, those two weeks culminating in winning MSR), you'd be hard pressed to pick between them, beyond Boonen's faster finish.

It'll be interesting to see how Ballan bounces back (or not) from last year.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • DaveyL wrote:
    I like this idea. Maybe I can find the thread where iain said Cav wasn't that quick and Ciolek was much faster :D

Then again someone might drag up the thread where I suggested Millar could win the Tour in 2006... :roll:

Or how about one where everyone seemed convinced that all Cavendish had to do was win lots of stages and the green jersey was his...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    teagar wrote:
    All other things being equal, Boonen will always be favourite for the two cobbled monuments.

However, if Cancellara finds that mega form he can get himself into (for instance, those two weeks culminating in winning MSR), you'd be hard pressed to pick between them, beyond Boonen's faster finish.

All things being equal Boonen will be favourite for PR and Quickstep's second best rider favourite for Flanders.

When was the last time Flanders ended in a sprint? Can't remember.

Strava is not Zen.
  • teagar
    calvjones wrote:
    teagar wrote:

All things being equal Boonen will be favourite for PR and Quickstep's second best rider favourite for Flanders.

When was the last time Flanders ended in a sprint? Can't remember.

I always felt that Devolder could and was only allowed to get away both times was because no-one fancied bringing Boonen into a race winning position.

Boonen beat Hoste in a sprint the last time he won Flanders.
  • Is anyone going to see it? I went about 10+ years ago via a really early morning coach from east London with Baxters or whatever they were called at the time. Really good time. Another I watched it in a pub in Olde Kwaarmont. We were drinking beer and watching a big screen, then outside you could hear the helecopters. So the whole pub piled outside, we shouted our heads off as they went past, then we all piled back in again to watch the final. Fantastic!
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    I'd love to see Van Summeren win Roubaix this year, I really think if hadn't stopped for Hoste last year he could have won.
  • I'd like to see Hushovd win this year. Or even just the Boonen v Hushovd velodrome face-off that we should have had last year.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    teagar wrote:
    I always felt that Devolder could and was only allowed to get away both times was because no-one fancied bringing Boonen into a race winning position.
    Completely agree. However, that could remain an issue for for Boonen this and next years.. Like with Hoste you have those lamb to the slaughter scenarios, but most will aim to avoid that.
  • teagar
    FJS wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    Completely agree. However, that could remain an issue for for Boonen this and next years.. Like with Hoste you have those lamb to the slaughter scenarios, but most will aim to avoid that.

Agreed. It might be different if there are a few more big favourites, though - they could shake the race up.

A bit like the '08 Paris Roubaix.

Edit: Also, I can't see Devolder or Chavanel being allowed as far up the road as they have been, which would certainly help drag Boonen to a race winning position.
  • nick hanson
    Is anyone going to see it? I went about 10+ years ago via a really early morning coach from east London with Baxters or whatever they were called at the time. Really good time. Another I watched it in a pub in Olde Kwaarmont. We were drinking beer and watching a big screen, then outside you could hear the helecopters. So the whole pub piled outside, we shouted our heads off as they went past, then we all piled back in again to watch the final. Fantastic!
    Yep,am going with the wife& kids
    Going down saturday,to have a look over some of the climbs,then accomodation in Ghent,& nip up to Bruges to see them off.
    hoping to see them at a couple of points (any suggestions from past experience most welcome) then hope to finish off by catching them on the Grammont/Garensberg (whatever they are calling it this year!)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Ghent,& nip up to Bruges to see them off.
    hoping to see them at a couple of points (any suggestions from past experience most welcome) then hope to finish off by catching them on the Grammont/Garensberg (whatever they are calling it this year!)
    That'll be 'De Muur' in Geraardsbergen (and Gent and Brugge). It's in Flanders on the most Flemish day of them all, and calling it Grammont would be like calling haggis on Burns night typically English.
  • Is anyone going to see it? I went about 10+ years ago via a really early morning coach from east London with Baxters or whatever they were called at the time. Really good time. Another I watched it in a pub in Olde Kwaarmont. We were drinking beer and watching a big screen, then outside you could hear the helecopters. So the whole pub piled outside, we shouted our heads off as they went past, then we all piled back in again to watch the final. Fantastic!

I can remember watching the finish of the ToF in a bar full of Belgians in 2007. It looked like a victory for Hoste and then Ballan just pipped him on the line. They went very quiet after that :D

Love to go myself and this sounds like the kind of place I'd like to see it...do you mean:-Kwaremont Kluisbergen, East Flanders? and what's the name of the bar?
  • nick hanson
    Am looking forward to it already.Did Paris Roubaix last year,& the Belgians went mental around the beer tent when Boonen won (& that was in a field nr sector 6 of the Pave!)
    God Knows what they'll be like on home turf!! :shock: :shock: