Stretching/Flexibility issues.

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
When I do the stretch illustrated below, my right knee can almost go as far as my shoulder but my left knee only goes about as far as what you can see in the diagram. With my left leg, there is a strange pain in the upper quarter/third of the left quad. I've looked at countless diagrams of the upper leg but I can't isolate the exact muscle(s).

Anyone know what the problem could be? There is no pain on the right side but I can create it artificially, by pulling the right knee towards my left shoulder instead, moving my ankle outwards.

In all other muscles, i'm equally flexible on both sides. It's just here where there is a left/right imbalance.

stretch2-480-90-480-70.jpg

Comments

• is one quad stronger than the other?

can you do 1-legged squats the same on both sides?

do you get the pain when legs are squashed up like this on the bike? when you are 'aero'?
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Thread of the year imo
  • Bhima
    Infamous wrote:
    Thread of the year imo

Reply of the year imo
  • Bhima
    is one quad stronger than the other?

can you do 1-legged squats the same on both sides?

do you get the pain when legs are squashed up like this on the bike? when you are 'aero'?

1) Right used to be. Not anymore.

2) Yes.

3) Not at all and my legs come up to my chest in almost the same position.
  • check your hip flexors. Route of most muscle imbalances in the lower body. Look up the thomas text, i bet you'll find you've got some issues down the painful side.
  • Bhima
    Although my hip flexors are probably the most flexible they've ever been, I'll try the test tomorrow.

You recommended it to me a while ago, but I stretched my hip flexors a lot (still do) and virtually all my imbalances disappeared so I felt no need to do it at the time.
  • Might sound stupid, but have you ever had the feeling the muscles at the top of your leg are snagged on something? I sometimes have a issue similar to how you describe, but with a bit of a stretch I can feel it ease up.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • It is a huge issue with the vast bulk of people, forgot I'd already done you!!!!!

Wherabouts round the leg - inside, front etc.

Maybe gluteus medius tightness?