North East Rides

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
Does anyone know of any sportives etc that are up and coming in the north east?

I have signed up for the Northern Rock Cyclone and the GNBR but was looking to try and do a few more. This is my first year doing these and just trying to get involved as much as I can but a bit inexperiencedd with where to find out about them etc

Any help or ideas, much appreciated

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I can highly recommend the Richmond Sportive. It is run by Richmond Cyling Club. Choice of 50, 80 of 100 mile routes. Entires open soon. I'm not a member of thier club, just someone who has really enjoyed their sportives.

http://www.richmondcyclingclub.co.uk/

The best place to find out about sportives is here http://www.cyclosport.org/

Where abouts in the North East are you?
  • Thanks very much. i'll check those out.

I am located in Cleadon, just outside sunderland.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    There's also the Cumberland Challenge in September. I did it for the first time last year, a fantastic (tough) route, marshalled by THE friendliest people you're ever likely to meet. Fantastic butties at the feed stations, but sadly lacking the pies I desperately needed by the last feed station :wink:

Event

and some thoughts about last years ride here
  • tarquin_foxglove
    tarquin_foxglove Posts: 554
    edited January 2010
    These are the ones I know of...

June
    6th Sunday - Thirsk: Evans Ride It 30/60/90 miles Cost: £10 http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/thirsk-north-york-moors-5th-6th-june-2010

6th Sunday - Darlington: The Round 50 mile Ride Cost: £4-£6 ish

12th Saturday - Newcastle: Northern Rock Cyclone 63 or 104 miles Cost: £20 http://www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk/CycloneChallenge.asp

July
    Sunday 4th - Darlington: The 70 mile cycle ride Cost: £4-£6 ish

August
    Sunday 1st - Darlington: The Castle 80 mile ride Cost: £4-£6 ish

September
    Sunday 5th - Darlington: The Hell of the North 100 mile ride Cost: £4-£6 ish
    Date tbc - Durham: Big Ride 50 mile ride cost: £15 (last years webpage)

The Darlington rides are ran by Darlington Council & Darlington Cycling Club and are unsignposted or marshalled with one water stop which is why they are cheap, the Thirsk & Newcastle rides have more organisation but are still on open public roads.
  • BTW, with the Darlo ones you can just turn up at the Dolphin Centre on the day, register & ride.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    also check out local clubs for reliability rides, usually early in the year. List of websites on the BC site

which distance are you doing on the NRC ?
  • wiffachip wrote:
    also check out local clubs for reliability rides, usually early in the year. List of websites on the BC site

Entries now up to 1600 for the event with ride C (104ml) filling up quickly :) Don't leave it to long to enter folks :wink:
  • wiffachip wrote:

I am doing the 64mile one. a little bit gutted now that i didn't go for the 104mile bhut this will probably be my first really spotive type event so not too sure how i would fair on the longer one. If things go well this year it'll be the big one in 2011.
  • wiffachip wrote:

I am doing the 64mile one. a little bit gutted now that i didn't go for the 104mile bhut this will probably be my first really spotive type event so not too sure how i would fair on the longer one. If things go well this year it'll be the big one in 2011.
    enjoy the 63ml ride and then you'll have some energy left to cycle out and watch the big boys on the Ryals on the sunday (they do it 4 times) :roll: You can also enjoy a pint in one of the pubs in Stamfordham or Matfen :wink:
  • I am doing the 64mile one. a little bit gutted now that i didn't go for the 104mile bhut this will probably be my first really spotive type event so not too sure how i would fair on the longer one. If things go well this year it'll be the big one in 2011.

Yeah, I'm also doing the 63 mile NRC and also the 3 Dales (Yeah, I bottled out of the 4 and 5 Dales :wink: ). I'll have a butchers look at a few more runs soon.

Also noticed you live in Cleadon...I usually pass through there on shorter rides.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4

• Also noticed you live in Cleadon...I usually pass through there on shorter rides.

Most of the rides I do are local arounf the coast. it's easier for me as haven't sorted out any decent racks for trabsport yet. Mostly do them on my own also so much easier to stay local.

Need to join a club I think just to expand on the rides and it's usually better when you have others with you to help push you along. Going to look into some local clubs in the neard future.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Recomend the Richmond Sportive, also how about the Rydale Rumble , 3 distances but there is a big difference between 1 and 2. The East section is a real killer and then you have Rosedale.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace