What MTB buying guide?

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Anyone got the latest issue (out Wednesday, but already for subs). New Buyer's Guide lists 1079 bikes!

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    30 plus pages of wasted space....
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    And most of it's incorrect!

It should be quarterly to keep it interesting and up to date.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    Won't be buying it then :x
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • :lol::lol::lol:

i'll probably buy it though on second thought... I spend hours trawling through old mags just to look at kit :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Its the only downfall for WMB imo, every month I think Oh what they could have put in its place... but apart from that tis probably the best mag ^^
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

i'll probably buy it though on second thought... I spend hours trawling through old mags just to look at kit :)

I do that sat on the bog :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Don't find it relevant when most of the info, if not more, is available on BR.
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Is this the issue which also has the full brake review in it ?

If so, my lunchtime on Wednesday is sorted :lol:
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • supersonic
    Would you rather pay the same for a mag without it and 150 pages?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:

I'd happily pay the same for the mag with no buyer's guide, it'd be less wasteful and it'd take up less space on the shelf, and it wouldn't have any less useful content
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    I think it is useful for novices and new buyers,. Got to remember we are all old and wise...
  • I've already commented on this on the WMB pages but just to repeat myself:

1/ The new format is better than the old one and quite like some of the most popular car mags.

2/ I agree with the comments there that I still wouldn't want it all every month,

3/ My thoughts are that photo section with low/mid/high cost photos of bikes is rotated with components and clothing/kit each month so that each gets featured every quarter.

4/ I would be prepared to have a slimmer mag most months with the new index feature removed and given as a quarterly handout.

5/ Keep on listening to your public WMB it's nice to see you trying. :wink:
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • Briggo
    supersonic wrote:

Well I dont read it anyway as its practically the same each month so doesn't bother me, I just think of all the stuff you could have put in its place. ;)
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    are novices going to want a review of all the bikes going instead of just the best? surely the new smaller main bit of the guide will be enough, and that takes up four pages. and yes, I'd happily have a thinner magazine without it, although then there wouldn't be as much room for advertising would there?
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • scale20
    supersonic wrote:
    I think it is useful for novices and new buyers,. Got to remember we are all old and wise...

if it's aimed at novices and new buyers, why not feature more bikes aimed at that market, will a novice or beginer be wanting to buy a 6K FS or a 2.5k frame and shock?

I would hazard a guess that if your in the market for something top end like that then you will have a damn good idea about what you want and where to find it.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, agree with that. It could also be a lot richer in content, too much is taken up with headings and unneccesarily enormous photos. Assuming it's to stay, then it could definately be better IMO, a better first buyer's guide, a "what else to buy" or "How to get started guide, stuff like that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i think the buyers guide could go... and supersonic should get the pages... :wink:

how many people actually read that part of the mag ?
  • scale20
    delcol wrote:
    how many people actually read that part of the mag ?

Nope, been looking at the same old pics for the best part of a year now :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • supersonic
    would hazard a guess that if your in the market for something top end like that then you will have a damn good idea about what you want and where to find it.

I'd argue the opposite was true, given half the posts on here ;-)

But I wouldn't say it was aimed just at beginners and novices, but is certainly useful for a quick glance at what is available. I'd never heard of a couple of the makers listed.
  • Hmm.. Bought it... its a bit BS to be perfectly honest. you can tell its a space filler.

Its like the back pages of top gear apart from it has irrelevant information. Doesnt' tell yuo anything about the bike, just gives it a few stars and a crappy description.
    How it would help anyone decide on a bike is beyond me.

Its also cheeky to have it in a plastic wallet with big writing saying " complete buyers guide: 1079 bikes tested" and to have a huge Madison catalogue on the back that I thought would be the buyers guide (you don't know what it is until you rip open the packaging.

Very not impressed.
  • supersonic
    The mag is 16 pages longer to accommodate it - and it doesn't say tested!

Was always going to garner mixed opinions!
  • Well its 2 things that are annoying..
    1) It doesn't tell you much.
    2) The attached Madison catalogue really REALLY takes the piss.

Apart from that, the rest of the mag is pretty good.... just a normal WMB mag!
  • supersonic
    Hmmm, I didn't get a catalogue.
  • Didn't get a catalogue either. Not too bothered but being a subscriber i wouldn't have thought anyone would of had the chance to nick it. Back to the buyers guide. I love the mag but do get a bit bored of seeing the guide every month. Does seem like a huge amount of space that could be used for something a bit more interesting.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • must just be with the retail copy.

It gives the idea that the big book at the back is a big bike review mag. I thought I was getting an in depth review of every bike tested.

over half don't even have stars FFS, so WMB havent even tried them out!
  • When i first got into mountainbiking i used to trawl through the WMB buyers guide sussing out the best of the bikes. Of course once i got out and saw the said bikes most the time i thought x amount and it still looks naff gimme a break reviews are one thing riding the bike is another altogether, and just wanting to shell out the money on something that you don't even think looks decent is something else entirely

Of course i saw the light....namely sat next to it on the shelf an issue of MBUK and i've never looked back since :lol:
  • Briggo
    supersonic wrote:
    The mag is 16 pages longer to accommodate it - and it doesn't say tested!

Was always going to garner mixed opinions!

Mixed opinions? In this thread I can only see bad reviews of the monthly "buying guide", but as everyone else has said the rest of mag is excellent ;)

Edit - Yeah the Maddison catalogue was a bit annoying, I was like "oh a nice proper seperate testing magazine with 1000+ stuff in it and great indepth reviews" only to find a book full of items at RRP prices....