When will I see gains off road?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited February 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I've been commuting for 3 weeks now (not every day though, probably 10 days out of 15) on the worlds worst commuter :lol:

Its a good 20 min commute, but i've now got it down to 15 mins on the singlespeed Saracen :D

Also lost 1.5lb in 1 and a half weeks (only started weighing myself 1.5 weeks ago) which is pretty good, and i'm back to calorie counting and really looking after my diet.

I've started to think about what will help off road, so i'm sprinting hills and making obstacles out of bits of pavement etc etc to make it a bit more entertaining.

I'm already feeling a load fitter, but riding off road is totally different to anything on the road, so will I actually see any benefit of road besides feeling fitter?

Comments

• gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    i would have thought if your giving it some on your commute, then that would build additional strength (especially if your commuter is heavy).
    remember though that these shorter efforts should ideally be aswell as a long(er) and steady ride each week and if your legs are feeling like bricks, take it easy occasionally on the commute (ie easy ride in, hard on the way back. or vice versa)
    good to hear of other people commuting in this gash weather :D
    cheers
    gaz
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I've started to think about what will help off road, so i'm sprinting hills and making obstacles out of bits of pavement etc etc to make it a bit more entertaining.

I'm already feeling a load fitter, but riding off road is totally different to anything on the road, so will I actually see any benefit of road besides feeling fitter?

Hill sprints are fun! I'd say road riding will help you off-road for sure - you can never be too fit for climbs! :)