Lights

muddylegs
muddylegs Posts: 485
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Not that I am wishing the summer here, but I was wondering what the protocol was regarding our lights and battery's. Do you all box them up and leave them for the summer and get them out again when the clocks change hope they will still take a charge or do you religiously get them out every couple of months and recharge them?

Comments

• Just stay out later and keep using them.

Seriously though, I like going out at about 7pm for 3-4hrs in summer, it's just cooled down nicely (assuming it's not already raining).
  • eyepic
    eyepic Posts: 58
    OK

I live in that weird world of the "heavy but fitter than average" being 5ft 10 and 19st yet a regular mountain biker that loves to suprise folks.

Weight is less of an issue if you are able to move it around a bike.

How mobile is your mate?
  • Wrong thread.
    Supersonic, what is your opion on the battery issue over the summer months?
  • Certainly, socks on hands make for a right chortling time. Our monkeys take great pride in their midgets. Splendid, come again soon.....
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    lmao, quality thread

Back to the OP, mine will be stashed til winter and if they work, they work!
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Depends what lights you have and what the manufacture recomends. I have ay-ups and they recomend charging them couple of months or so if not being used. so far no probs.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    They should be charged once in a while otherwise they deteriorate.

If they go flat and are left for a long while they sometimes will not take a charge.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rowlers wrote:
    Back to the OP, mine will be stashed til winter and if they work, they work!

If your lights have lithium ion batteries then storage for months without charging will significantly reduce the amount of energy they can hold when fully charged.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    cat with no tail - Just stay out later and keep using them.

Seriously though, I like going out at about 7pm for 3-4hrs in summer, it's just cooled down nicely (assuming it's not already raining).

+1 one of the best times to go, usually quiet, fast and dry trails. roll on summer

op - keep going night riding in summer, its mint
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Just stay out later and keep using them.

Thats all very well for you southerners.....

up here it doesn't get dark til gone midnight in the middle of summer....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    QFT. Still vaguely light at 10:00 PM in the Midlands in Summer. It's a fantastic time to be out riding.
  • cee wrote:

Thats all very well for you southerners.....

up here it doesn't get dark til gone midnight in the middle of summer....

Southerners?????

How very dare you sir!

I'm only about 80miles south of you ya cheeky sod.
  • cycling back from the pub a couple of times a week should give you enough usage to keep things ticking over. as well as giving you an excuse to go to the pub. which might go some way to explaining why my summer fitness peak is never quite as high as it should be...
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...