Superleague 2010

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited February 2010 in The bottom bracket
After last weeks damp squib of a curtain raiser the new Superleague season gets underway properly tonight. So.... Any other fans on here? Who so you support, what are your hopes for the season?

Meself, I'm a Warrington fan and reckon we can go Top 4 this season. Looking forward to seeing Sean Long captain Hull against Saints tomorrow night too.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    After your first comment I was guessing that you're not a Leeds fan :wink:
  • having been at the last 3 grand finals as a Saints fan, I don't like Leeds either :(:(
  • going to make an effort to catch a few more games this season. i was a season pass holder at FC in 2008 but (thankfully) didn't bother last year. infact, i only watched 2 games all season - crap officiating put me off.
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • grahamg123 wrote:
    going to make an effort to catch a few more games this season. i was a season pass holder at FC in 2008 but (thankfully) didn't bother last year. infact, i only watched 2 games all season - crap officiating put me off.

You're right about bad officiating, if Ganson is the best we've got then god help us.
  • hands up here I am a leeds fan and even I will say that an opener in wales was never going to be a 'blockbuster'.

hats off to castleford for friday night, although I believe its probably exactly the kind of result the rhinos need. The only team that can beat them is themselves with complacency and this will have given them a right 40/20 up the backside.

by the way have never really understood why everyone hates us, for 30 years we have been bridesmaids and never the brides, and usually in sport the team who always finishes second is popular in this country, the Arsenal, the Andy Murray, the Ian Poulter etc etc
  • grahamg123 wrote:
    going to make an effort to catch a few more games this season. i was a season pass holder at FC in 2008 but (thankfully) didn't bother last year. infact, i only watched 2 games all season - crap officiating put me off.

You're right about bad officiating, if Ganson is the best we've got then god help us.

Me and my bro were discussing this last year and my take is that every last one of them is crap and the touch judges worse. So at least its the same for everyone.

As for why nobody likes Leeds... Keith Senior for mine. Can't stand that bloke.

Anyway, London Broncos at home for us today... year of the Wolf!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • +1 for me on Senior, his legs have gone

and he was caught by his wife of 2 weeks in bed with some tart, so he has the grace and morals of john terry too
  • He's the dirtiest player in Superleague as well. In fact the whole Leeds team have acted like footballers at times, hounding officials, moaning etc.

That Senior story reminds me of why Stuart Reardon doesn't play for Wire any more... After breaking up with his wife, him and Leon Pryce decided to pay her new fella a visit. Idiots.

@gietvangent
  • He's the dirtiest player in Superleague as well. In fact the whole Leeds team have acted like footballers at times, hounding officials, moaning etc.

That Senior story reminds me of why Stuart Reardon doesn't play for Wire any more... After breaking up with his wife, him and Leon Pryce decided to pay her new fella a visit. Idiots.

that will be the leon pryce who smashed a glass into his ex coaches face because he 'forgot he was holding it' .... my most hated man in all rugby
  • That'll be the one. Him and a few other Bradford players went out in Whitehaven, near me, after a friendly a few years ago. Pryce made a point of asking the owner of every bar he went in to throw out anybody who asked him for an autograph then asked to drink for free. Uber-knob.

@gietvangent
  • console yourself with this afternoons thrashing .... thats quite some going

(nearly as good as 72-0 against wigan at headingley when I was stood there to witness that ...but not quite :wink: )
  • whoop - FC won...allegedly. Couldn't really tell due to the fog.

there are a fair few players in superleague who's attitudes let the whole competition down but those named are deffo the worst. thank god for the likes of preccy!
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • The Season doesn't start for me until next friday when I get to go to my first game of the season, Salford v Crusaders. I'm a bit skint to have gone to KR today :(

Yes you can all stop laughing now I'm a Solly fan.

I have to say Yeah some rugby players have big ego's, but they'll never be as bad as prem footie players. Although Saints players do seem to get away with giving a bit of lip back to the ref - Wellens especially. God I can't stand him!

So who's everyones early season predictions? I'll go for

League winners - Leeds
    GF winners - Hull
    Challenge Cup winners - Wigan
    Wooden spooners - Crusaders
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Great beating of Quins today... 5 for little ginge too!

Anyway, predictions...

League: Leeds
    GF: Wire
    Challenge Cup: Hull
    Wooden Spoon: Salford

@gietvangent
  • How was Myler for you lot yesterday? Can't say I'm one of those bitter reds who despise him now he's gone to wire. Wish him all the best. He is after all doing what's right for his future career. He did the same moving from Widnes to us. Some fans are just soooooooo fickle.
    Cracking result for Wire. I don't know whether to be surprised or not at the effort from Quins up to date. I really think they're going to be in a royal battle with us and crusaders for the bottom 3.
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Didn't go to the game yesterday... living in Cumbria i've got to pick my spots so off to the Wigan match on the 20th.

Myler laid on a try for Carvell yesterday with some good quick hands, I'm told though. He had 2 weeks personal coaching with Andrew Johns in the pre-season as well, that's gotta be a thrill.

@gietvangent
  • He had 2 weeks personal coaching with Andrew Johns in the pre-season as well, that's gotta be a thrill.

I heard that as well, he's a very very good coach Tony Smith - best in Super League in my opinion, Warrington will have their best season for years
  • and as if by magic rugby league players dont let us down:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/8503904.stm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Was looking forward to watching the Crusaders again once the proper rugby season finishes but now, in their quest to spread the RL word, they have relocated to that rugby league backwater of the north west :? it won't be happening :x
  • Another Wire fan here!

Went to the game Sunday - great performance but, to keep things in perspective, Harlequins were dismal. They did have a number of their top players missing though.
    Cas away next will be much stiffer test

Observations:
    1.Chris Riley made the headlines although only 2 of his 5 tries needed much scoring

2. Monaghan and Carvell were outstanding

3. Lee Briers - new lease of life - needs pressure from Myler to keep him on his toes

4. Richie Myler - disappointingly quiet even when Monaghan took a break. His time will come

5. Jedward - shite!

Come on you Wolves!
  • Monas has been fantastic since they moved him to 9. He absolutely bossed the Challenge Cup semi and final.

@gietvangent
  • Pross wrote:
    Was looking forward to watching the Crusaders again once the proper rugby season finishes but now, in their quest to spread the RL word, they have relocated to that rugby league backwater of the north west :? it won't be happening :x

It's got nothing to do with spreading the word of RL and more to do with the people of South Wales inability to encompass and support an up coming sport. In an area where even RU has been struggling. Plus the fact that due to having LS on the board prior to his leaving the club high and dry following his empty promises. No one from down south has even tried to keep the club running ( apart from Dai Watkins) and doing what's necessary to expand RL interest. RU has even done everything it can to make sure that the local schools don't put it on the curriculum as it's to worried that RL could become more popular and take its youth prospects and money. It's the narrow mindedness of the altitude of which of the sports is proper rugby as typified in your post which has made the Crusaders have no alternative than to than to move to Wexham which has taken them on with open arms. Free tickets or not to get a crowd in of 10,000 for the first game is truly magnificent.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pross wrote:

Wrexham is the North East
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Wrexham is the North East

Yes I know that but it's still extremely close to the rugby league heartland of the north west of England. One of the reasons why the Crusaders got their franchise in Super League was that it was seen as spreading the sport into new areas. Unfortunately, Leighton Samuels yet again demonstrated how quickly he gets bored with new toys and the team are now back on the fringes of RL's heartland.
    It's the narrow mindedness of the altitude of which of the sports is proper rugby as typified in your post which has made the Crusaders have no alternative than to than to move to Wexham which has taken them on with open arms.

My 'proper' rugby quote was tongue in cheek which should have been obvious in the context of my post. I'd hardly be bemoaning the team moving up north if I didn't enjoy watching them. I went along to see them play several times last season and was looking forward to them playing out of Dave Parade (even though it's the home of the enemy) as I could have gone to pretty much every home game once the Union season finished (as Union is my passion). I've been watching grassroots RL for about 5 years now following the Torfaen Tigers. Unfortunately the Crusaders were a few years late getting a Super League franchise, there was a real surge in interest about 4 or 5 years ago but that has now died down for some reason and many of the teams in Cymru RL last season struggled to fulfill fixtures.

The point about schools trying to stop RL being played is news to me but I wouldn't be surprised as even Union is not played in many these days. I'm a season ticket holder and sponsor for a Welsh premiership RU team and there is no support for the game at that level even so it isn't just RL. I'm not sure why there's so much apathy for live rugby of either code in Wales. People only seem to be interested in the international game and probably then as an event rather than a sport.

I think your lecture was aimed at the wrong person :wink:
  • Pross
    Incidently there were about 5,500 or so at the Crusaders v Leeds at Dave Parade last season (lots more than the Dragons usually get) without free tickets as far as I'm aware. Many were from Leeds but there definately seemed to be a lot of interest and more than Bridgend had shown so it would have been interesting to see what happened. We've got a few here again this season so hopefully a decent crowd will encourage the owners to keep a few matches down here. That said, trying to encourage people to watch a new team (and in many cases a new sport) when the team are getting hammered on a weekly basis isn't easy.
  • Another good win for the Wire last night. Thought we did our best to throw it away with silly penalties though. I will never understand why professional players still try to reef the ball out, hold people down or talk back to the ref.

Castleford were more than in that game too, and the ref was pretty well garbage on both sides of the ball.

@gietvangent
  • Thought it was a thoroughly enjoyable game last night. Briers is obviously enjoying another new lease of life at the moment. Some of his kicking was superb last night. Thought Mozza and McGoldrick were both walking a bit of a tightrope last night. Either of them coulda been sent off.
    Don't think that Wire are the done deal just yet. They seem to have a bit of a way to go still, but saying that if they can carry on as they are and improve some they could be a good bet for a GF appearance :shock:

After watching that showerofshit at the willows Fri night it was good to see some decent rugby. Not that the Crusaders didn't play good rugby I was just to shell shocked by our attitude to notice.
  • Rob Parker seems to look even fatter and lazier at Salford than he did at Warrington :shock:

@gietvangent
  • whats rugby league... never heard of it :cry::cry::cry:

:? :? :?
  • Rob Parker seems to look even fatter and lazier at Salford than he did at Warrington :shock:

that is indeed quite an achievement!