What does 'case' mean?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited February 2010 in MTB general
As in: "I cased that jump and my fork snapped" or some such.

I am old, yes.
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a silly word kids use for crashed or broked.
  • Ah I see, thought as much but wasn't sure.

Thanks fellow super person. :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It's hitting the landing of a jump badly, so that the front of the bike is on/over the lip, but that the back end is behind it.

Puts a massive amount of pressure on the fork as your momentum disappears in a flash.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    People who don't sit around by the fire on their rocking chairs, with their slippers on, smoking pipes use it to mean stacked or crashed - generally in dirt jump, freeride, bmx - stuff old people don't do
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I just think of 'casing the joint', as in eyeing it up for a heist!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • And here's me thinking that casing a jump meant wholly or partly destroying the landing by hanging up the back wheel on the face of the landing.

I've suddenly realised that I'm old :(
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    People who don't sit around by the fire on their rocking chairs, with their slippers on, smoking pipes use it to mean stacked or crashed - generally in dirt jump, freeride, bmx - stuff old people don't do

Or you could just say "I crashed on that jump" instead of using stupid made up words like "cased".
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    but then people would understand us :roll:
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Crashing is not the same as casing. Crashing is pretty much anything you don't ride away from. Casing is where EITHER wheel hits the "wrong" side of the lip of the jump or landing either partially or completely stopping the bikes forward movement (but probably not yours until your balls impact on the headset).

If you ever rode a skateboard, it's basically what is known in skateboarding as hanging up.
  • Thanks Atz. I feel less old now :D
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Atz wrote:
    Crashing is not the same as casing. Crashing is pretty much anything you don't ride away from. Casing is where EITHER wheel hits the "wrong" side of the lip of the jump or landing either partially or completely stopping the bikes forward movement (but probably not yours until your balls impact on the headset).

So to recap;

Crashing is crashing and casing is almost crashing :?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    *AL* wrote:
    So to recap;

Nah, casing is a specific type of crashing. Although sometimes you can keep riding.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    There you go :)
  • Atz wrote:

If you ever rode a skateboard, it's basically what is known in skateboarding as hanging up.

Ah, so I now have a word for what I did the other day when I landed my back wheel on the edge of a step and creased the rim!

I was just using the words "f*@!£! ba£%£" sh£*"( balls!" :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    GHill wrote:
    *AL* wrote:
    So to recap;

Nah, casing is a specific type of crashing. Although sometimes you can keep riding.

Or if you have at least half a brain, you just use the word crash/ing/ed.