Re: Tacx Flow Trainer

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
I hope this section is more appropriate than the one on buying advice so here goes.

After doing a search on turbo trainers this version is now top of my wishlist. I was wondering about monitoring heart rate though, particularly with this model. Whilst this is a function within it's capabilities, I'm pretty sure I will still need to use my own chest strap etc. Anyway here are some questions I would like some help with...

What would you recommend, bearing in mind I already have a basic cateye strada wireless for the road. Are there any compatibility issues I should look out for?

Do folks use a HRM setup specifically for indoor training or use something for every occasion? Should I just upgrade the Strada?

Does wireless make sense or, in your experience, do cost/ interference/ reliability issues make this impractical ?

Thoughts and ideas welcome, Ron.

Comments

• pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    You will need a separate HRM sender unit - as you say, a chest strap. The Tacx flow unit will record and display HR data but does not come with a transmitter.

I have a Polar HRM unit and just use that chest strap when I'm on the Turbo. Works fine and the Tacx gives you avg, mean and max HR for your session.

I don't know about the Strada unit but to get HR data from the tacx what you need is a sender unit whch can be bought separately and there are a range of models.

I can use the complete Polar unit when I'm on the Tacx and don't get any interference but I'm happy with the Tacx readou to manage effort so don't usually bother with the Polar wrist unit.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • I use my colleagues flow and I'm pretty sure it came with a HRM strap. Even so both my Polar and VDO strap work. It wouldn't pick up with a Ciclosport strap so I reckon the coding twixt strap and watch on that one was too tight.
    I turbo in a group and you can get interference from other HRM, again depending on their proximity and screening.
    The only downside I can see is the flow lets you view your efforts however you choose but you have no way of recording the details. Thinking of your road work as well there is and argument for a dogs dangly computer like the Ciclosport Hac4 or 5.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I use my own HRM & strap as it logs my exercise. the Cateye Astrale fitted to my bike does not interfere with readouts on the flow.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Thanks vmuch to all the above for their posts. Now for the next bit. Plenty of good offers out there... but if they're not in stock it does become a bit meaningless.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I got a tacx flow just before xmas and it doesn't come with a HRM strap.............my garmin one from my 705 is not compatible either but I use the 705 to record my heart rate during the workout anyway.

I got mine from evans who are doing a price match. You just need to take a printout of the web offer along and I shouldn't think they would check whether that shop had it in stock or not
  • These guys are distributors and out of stock. I could tell you who is in stock but mods would consider it advertising and tell me I'm a naughty boy.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Cheapest Flows are at Decathlon. I got mine for 250 quid.
    I have a timex HRM and a Garmin 705 with an HRM and neither strap seems to work with the flow.
    I just use the garmin for recording speed/distance and HR and then jot down the power values from the Flow for reference.
    HTH
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    How well do intervals work on this?

For example if I want to do 4 mins at 400W then 4 mins at 200W, is there an easy way to quickly switch? Another workout that I do is 20 sec at 450, 40 sec at 200, so I don't want to have to faff with a computer too much for every change in power.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    You can just do a plus or a minus on slope or power. I think it goes in 10w increments
    Just press and hold until it's changed to the right power for you.
    Either that or change to an easier gear and pedal slower...
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    gandhi wrote:
    How well do intervals work on this?

For example if I want to do 4 mins at 400W then 4 mins at 200W, is there an easy way to quickly switch? Another workout that I do is 20 sec at 450, 40 sec at 200, so I don't want to have to faff with a computer too much for every change in power.

You can switch between slope and power modes with one press - I do the interval in slope mode and the recovery in a power which is the equivalent of no resistance.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."