Why does my back hurt?

sellisnba
sellisnba Posts: 181
edited February 2010 in Health, fitness & training
As the title say's, I have recently noticed after riding my bike a few miles i start to get reallybad back pain in my lower back. This happen's after a few miles in the saddle. It's always my lower back and when i get home after the ride i'm finding it really hard to bend over and am hunched over when i'm walking.
Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening and if so do you have a solution?
Cheers.

Comments

• It'll be a combination of position, core strength issues, hip flexor tightness (my guess) and tight hamstrings (a result of hip flexor issues)

I'd see a sports physio to check out flexibility and work on some stretches, and get a bike fit looking at your flexibility.
  • It'll be a combination of position, core strength issues, hip flexor tightness (my guess) and tight hamstrings (a result of hip flexor issues)

I'd see a sports physio to check out flexibility and work on some stretches, and get a bike fit looking at your flexibility.
    Yep...and/or poor ham/glute engagement.
  • I have had the same problem.

Turns out I have a weak core and tight leg muscles so my pelvis is rotating backwards putting immense pressure on my lower back.

I have started stretching every day, rolling out my leg muscles to soften them and using a variety of exercises to strenghthen my core.

First couple of weeks are a chore but get past that and the rewards are brill.

Best of luck
    Trek Series 6
    GT Avalanche