where shall i go tommorow??

The specialized one
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi,i live in lancashire.Tomorrow my lad wants to give his new mtb a run out.I`m torn between gisburn red route,which i have done several times,and the lee quarry venue at bacup,which is nearer.I have never been there exept for motorcycle trials,but from the reviews i`ve read there is a good downhill section to be done.
What do you good people rekon??
Alll replies gratefully recieved. :lol::lol:

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Depends on how handy your lad is on a bike, Lee Quarry is a lot more technical and unforgiving than Gisburn, although the top end of Gisburn is a mess at the moment.

I'd recommend Gisburn cos you'll probably be able to get a bacon buttie from the Fuzzy Duck man, failing that you can get a superb BLT with homemade chips from the Dog and Partridge at Tosside, highly recommended, had one last weekend, yum).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i could be lee quarry tomorrow both are good,,, lee quarry is short but has some ggod bits,, it's very unforgiving in places,, gisburn is good to but with all the bad weather we had lately i personally would pass on it..
    look on youtube there loads of vids,, i have a few vids of lee quarry clickkkkky linkkkky in my sig.....
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Nowhere, its snowing :(
  • llandegla is close atm :( too much snow!
    poooo!

so its grizedale or gisburn then!
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Yeah a fair blanket of snow here in the midlands too, quite surprised when I pulled the curtains back! My local trails should be fun, quite a few comedy falls last time in the snow. Good excuse then to try out the new elbow pads :)
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • delcol wrote:
    i could be lee quarry tomorrow both are good,,, lee quarry is short but has some ggod bits,, it's very unforgiving in places,, gisburn is good to but with all the bad weather we had lately i personally would pass on it..
    look on youtube there loads of vids,, i have a few vids of lee quarry clickkkkky linkkkky in my sig.....
    just seen ur vid of healy nab.. is that you. anyway i only live in darwen chorly is only about 15 min drive, i'd never heard of it. do you have any directions from m65 / m61. cheers nick.
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Depends on how handy your lad is on a bike, Lee Quarry is a lot more technical and unforgiving than Gisburn, although the top end of Gisburn is a mess at the moment.

I'd recommend Gisburn cos you'll probably be able to get a bacon buttie from the Fuzzy Duck man, failing that you can get a superb BLT with homemade chips from the Dog and Partridge at Tosside, highly recommended, had one last weekend, yum).

Mr Fuzzy Duck had gone by 3pm :(:(:(
  • delcol
    nik. if you know the area it's near anglezark res. choley side of rivi. i will try to find a link with a map and directions...

that is indeed me in that vid there is 2 or 3 vids of me riding the nab..
  • Well, i ended up goin to lee quarry,having been before to motorcycle trials events,i was interested to see where there could possibly be an area for a decent downhill stretch.We cycled up the lane through the gate,continued to the very top,and then off we went.The trail seems to go right round the edge of the quarry,there`s a few berms at the early stages,then later on there is a steepish decent over some rocks(you dont wanna fall off here)then you do actually get a decent decent. Me and my lad did the route twice!,i was knackered at the end as i had done a 22mile run on friday(it gets harder in your mid 40`s).But we had i decent afternoon,i`d recomend anybody who lives in the area to give it a go :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    Come back in three to four months and it should have doubled or tripled in size :shock:

Work starts this week I believe.

• delcol
    for some reason my post did'nt enter last night..

http://www.transportforlancashire.com/C ... Biking.pdf

healeynab is roughly around that arrow just up from the number 10 on the map. it inbetween the 10-11. chorley side of anglezarke res....

stumpy did it snow up leequarry yesterday, i never went out it snowed quite bad round here yeterday,,,
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Come back in three to four months and it should have doubled or tripled in size :shock:

Work starts this week I believe.

Is there a public page anywhere that gives info for dig days and the like at LQ?

It'll be amazing if everything that is planned gets built :) .
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • stumpyjon
    delcol - no snow at all here yesterday, tiny bit this afternoon but it melted.

Whytepeak - nothing organised for Lee Quarry volunteers yet (as far as I am aware). I think it's likely to happen after the latest round of building. As soon as I know anything I'll post up here somewhere. Tony L was talking about a Bar-B-Que and trail building training session so I'm guessing some time in the summer.

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    stumpyjon

Thanks, I can see a rainy day BBQ on the horizon. :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • i'll be up there chippin in if theres a dig day.

cheers for directions delcol
  • stumpyjon
    Whytepeak wrote:
    stumpyjon

Thanks, I can see a rainy day BBQ on the horizon. :lol:

Pessimist, can be lovely up on those hills if the weather's right........